PDA

View Full Version : Savage After Market Triggers

savagecornmuffin
10-17-2017, 08:57 AM
I've been looking for a good comparison on after market triggers, but find a lot of conflicting info and opinions. I'm inclined to get a Timney as they to have a good history, but all the different brands have their fans and haters. I'm not looking to make a 10 oz trigger. I just need a consistent 2.5lbs trigger for hunting. My OEM three screw trigger seems to bottom out a 2.75lbs. I can really feel the difference. When I get it down to 2.5 the trigger feels right, but has the occasional heavy or light pull. Maybe like 25% of the time this happens. I haven't polished anything on my stock trigger, but I have cleaned it very well.

Any Suggestions?

Nor Cal Mikie
10-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Go Rifle Basix and don't look back.;)

upinthehills
10-17-2017, 01:08 PM
You could try a Savage varmint trigger spring for just a few dollars. I think they go under 2 lbs. If the inconsistency is happening because it's adjusted down to the minimum, maybe this would clear up the issue...

Haiku_Rodney
10-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Maybe a local gunsmith could provide you with an objective analysis to the different triggers. I went with a Timney for my 110CL and I am really happy with it. I did the install by myself without much trouble.

savagecornmuffin
10-17-2017, 03:19 PM
My local gun smith retired. The "repairmen" he left behind are fearful creatures who refused to open up and re-thread a stripped bolt hole and ran me out of the shop with my "little project". So I'm done with them.
I just need the adjustment range to allow me some more adjustment. I'm not sure what makes that range, spring tension or trigger geometry. From reading I was guessing it was the trigger. I would certainly be willing to try a spring before investing in a whole new trigger.

Smokinghole
10-17-2017, 08:20 PM
I just put in a Timney. It was easy. Nicely made and great machining. I opted to not get a Basix because I kept reading comparisons to new ones being MIM parts or something. I don't know know if true or not but those reviews swayed me to Timney.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

savagecornmuffin
10-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Does the Timney give you a consistent pull weight? How low did you adjust it (if you were able to test it)?

Haiku_Rodney
10-17-2017, 09:48 PM
Sorry but I was unable to test it. I use my rifles almost exclusively for hunting so I am going by "feel".

NicfromAlabama
10-17-2017, 11:46 PM
I have a Rifle Basix SAV-1 on my .223 Axis and it is a very nice trigger. I have mine safely set at the lowest setting of 14 oz. Anything lower, it will not pass a safety test. It is a very nice trigger. I have not heard of the quality issues on them as stated above, but I have had my trigger for a while. Setting it to 2-2.5 lbs would be very easy to do. I hated to spend $85 on a $250 rifle (prices at the time), but I do like the trigger.

upinthehills
10-18-2017, 12:54 AM
Here's a pointer to a discussion here with a pinter to at least one place to get the spring.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?25358-1-5-accutrigger-spring

foxx
10-18-2017, 08:36 PM
^^^^The OP is referring to a different trigger. The "3 Screw Trigger" he is talking about is a totally different design from current models with coil springs such as the Accutrigger.

foxx
10-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Rifle Basix Sav-1 is a very good, crisp, no creep, minimal over travel trigger. I KNOW you would like it. Having said that what you have can be improved upon. I would strip it clean with lighter fluid and then apply light amount of oil and replace the spring with piano wire. Bend it and play around with it and the tension adjustment screw. Add or reduce weight/tension by bending spring one way or another and turn the screw up and down. It's a matter of experimenting to find the right combination. I see no reason why it can't be set to a consistent 2.5 pounds. Resist the temptation to grind on or polish the trigger or the sear, doing so can easily remove the outer layer of hardened steel. One trick I've done with confidence is to narrow the sear's witdth by filing away a bit of each SIDE. Less width equals less friction, all else being equal. Less friction between sear and trigger allows for more spring tension with same amount of trigger pull required to trip it. Just some ideas.

jglover_81
10-21-2017, 12:45 AM
I have a timney, a rifle basix, and a sharpshooter trigger on different actions. In my opinion the sharpshooter is the best for my bench guns. For a 2.5 lb "hunting" trigger I honestly believe either of the 3 will do a great job. Just a matter of drawing straws on which one.

Smokinghole
10-21-2017, 07:45 AM
I don't have anything to measure my pull with but it feels consistent. I got mine primarily as an improvement over a factory two screw trigger. For hunting it'll be great. It's nicer at the range too. Obviously for hunting you probably want to stick around 2lbs or a tad more. So the SAV 2 or the Sharp Shooters Supply might not be what you want. I'm referring to a Timney. As far as I can tell Sav1 and the Timney are direct comparisons. I have read complaints about Rifle Basix looking like MIM parts and that's why I bought a Timney. I didn't see anything like that in regard to complaints for the Timney.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

savagecornmuffin
10-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the information, fella. I think this is everything I needed to know.

mustang-cars
10-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Rifle basix is the way to go