PDA

View Full Version : Bolt decocking when worked fast

mrcusn
10-15-2017, 08:53 PM
I just had a terrible time in an antelope hunt with my Axis in .243. When I extract the empty very smartly, the cocking piece unseats and I'm left with a de-cocked bolt and I have to take the bolt out and manually cock the bolt and reinsert it. I ended up with a single shot with very slow reloading. Cases extracted easily. If I worked the bolt gently, I had no problem. Anybody else notice this problem. Oh, I eventually got the antelope.

DrThunder88
10-15-2017, 10:48 PM
First of all, if it's an Axis, there's no getting the bolt handle up in a hurry!

What kind of work have you done to the trigger, sear, or bolt assembly? Off the top of my head, I would guess the lip at the top of the cocking ramp may have been ground down or the firing pin spring has been altered to be lighter.

I'm mostly familiar with slam fires, which are frequently caused by too little sear engagement and manifest themselves when rapidly closing the bolt.

Robinhood
10-15-2017, 11:26 PM
I cant see that your bolt decocks and you have to pull it out to recock . The cocking pin stays in the bolt raceway and the lugs are locked or unlocked with the rotation of the handle. If you can pull the bolt out it is cocked. Sooooo...Refer to what the Dr. is telling you.

Mb1500
10-16-2017, 12:28 AM
Strange. Sounds like the piece is being dislodged when the bolt slams backwards?

If so I would measure the difference between the cocked position and the position when on the sear (measuring the firing pin sticking out of the back). Whatever this value is you can elongate from the "hook" area in the bolt body. Take great care not to touch the ramp itself. The bolt is case hardened and removing material removes the hardening = very soft metal that is inoperable if not re-hardened or coated.

That, or call Savage...

Mb1500
10-16-2017, 02:27 AM
This goes without saying but I'm saying it anyways, don't forcibly eject a live round in that firearm until the problem is solved.

Actually, since this is a safety concern if the firearm has never been modified I believe Savage should be your first and probably only course of action.

DrThunder88
10-16-2017, 02:53 AM
I cant see that your bolt decocks and you have to pull it out to recock . The cocking pin stays in the bolt raceway and the lugs are locked or unlocked with the rotation of the handle. If you can pull the bolt out it is cocked. Sooooo...Refer to what the Dr. is telling you.

I guess the firing pin isn't restrained by the sear when the bolt is open, so it might not be "cocked", technically speaking. Still, the cocking pin can come off the shelf at the top of the cocking ramp while the back of the bolt is out of the receiver, blocking the bolt from going back in and fully cocking the firing pin. I propose we call this condition being "cock-blocked", and I think we would all find it quite frustrating.

Robinhood
10-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Hilarious. I concur.

RustyShackle
10-19-2017, 12:53 AM
This goes without saying but I'm saying it anyways, don't forcibly eject a live round in that firearm until the problem is solved.

Actually, since this is a safety concern if the firearm has never been modified I believe Savage should be your first and probably only course of action.

^^^^^^This!

You really do not want to unload a live round with authority! I would either send that to savage straight away asap(best option) or buy another bolt body probably.

LoneWolf
10-19-2017, 05:37 AM
Have you checked that the Bolt Assembly Screw is tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmer44mag
12-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Had this problem with both of my Axis rifles made in 2010-2011. Cost me $5 a piece postage to send bolts to Savage. They fixed for free and returned them to me. 1 week turnaround. They didn't say but I read on here at the time that the original striker spring design was the cause. Haven't had a problem since they were returned to me.