PDA

View Full Version : WSM rebarrel

Homer
10-14-2017, 11:51 PM
Has anyone out there ever rebarreled a Model 11 WSM lg. shank action to another caliber other than a WSM or UltraMag?

foxx
10-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Yes.

Robinhood
10-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Hehe, Foxx.... Before you have time to ask the follow up questions The bolt head is longer so the firing pin is longer. You will need to change the bolt head to match the cartridge you are using. You will probably need a new firing pin that is shorter. There is a workaround but I was never happy with it. You will need the magazine that works with your cartridge.

foxx
10-15-2017, 11:33 AM
^^^Yep. It can certainly be done, but it probably ain't worth all the hoops you gotta jump thru. Might be better to just sell it to someone who wants what you have and just get what you want. I did two of them about a year ago, and, if I had one in front of me to look at, I could see what needs to be changed out, and do it. Remembering every step is another question. I know replacing the firing pin and setting the spring tension / pin protrusion correctly was a bit tricky. Could not have done it without having other, regular bolts in front of me for reference. If this is the only Savage you have, forget it. Maybe someone else can guide you thru it. I can't. And I don't think anyone has written a guide or instruction sheet with specs on how to do it. :(