PDA

View Full Version : Long action stock question

KTP
10-14-2017, 06:00 PM
I know this has been discussed but I cant find the thread, since all long actions are 5.062" will an older stagger feed action (pre accutrigger) work fine in a newer centerfeed stock if the stationary mag well and clip are removed?

olddav
10-14-2017, 06:09 PM
If you are talking about "no mag" (single shot) then the action screw spacing is what matters. Assuming the stock is not an Accustock.
I would suggest that you wait on another member to confirm this info, then again they may inform us both that I am wrong.

KTP
10-14-2017, 06:14 PM
I am not talking about a single shot. The long actions have had a spacing of 5.062" for a long time. I'm wondering if an older stagger feed (with the attached box mag) will fit in a newer centerfeed stock with internal box mag and clip removed

wbm
10-14-2017, 07:23 PM
No. Not with the stagger feed magazine box attached.

olddav
10-14-2017, 08:53 PM
I am not talking about a single shot. The long actions have had a spacing of 5.062" for a long time. I'm wondering if an older stagger feed (with the attached box mag) will fit in a newer centerfeed stock with internal box mag and clip removed

Bolt spacing is the same but the the mag wells are different dim, I think. You may find some more info in the FAQ Section.

penna shooter
10-15-2017, 05:56 AM
He said Clip, Back in the Nam......

foxx
10-15-2017, 08:29 AM
I don't fully understand your original question. What do you want to do? What model and stock manufacturer are you considering? Why do you want to remove the magazine?

If this helps, pretty much any Savage 110 long action can be used with any Savage 110 long action stock. You may have to modify the inside a bit, but a dremel and epoxy will "fix" whatever needs fixin'.

Robinhood
10-15-2017, 10:05 AM
You will have to modify the dimensions for or aft and or block the new mag in with epoxy or some combination of spacing material and epoxy/glue. My experience was taking a stagger feed stock and putting a centerfeed action in it. Blocked the muzzle end of the magwell and shimmed the sides. All secured with epoxy. Used a Dremel for final fitting. turned out nice in my opinion. Also, for penna. The clip holds the rear of the "Magazine" in on a Center Fed action.

wbm
10-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Did the same as above. Worked quite well.

foxx
10-15-2017, 11:22 AM
^^^^Yeah. I think it's even easier to make a stagger feed action fit into a center feed stock. If that's what you are wanting to do, be sure to make the mag well large enough to allow the stagger feed mag "rattle around" in the stock. It needs to be loose. Attached to the action, but loose.

KTP
10-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Yep that's all I was asking. If a long action stagger feed will fit in a centerfeed stock
Thanks all