PDA

View Full Version : Get another 12FV in 6.5 or re barrel 308

wfournier
10-13-2017, 09:44 AM
So I have a 12FV in 223 and picked up one in 308 last spring with plans to shoot it and maybe later convert it to 6.5 or similar. Summer is the busy season for work and I never got around to shooting it, as things slow down I wandered over here and saw that the 12FV is now available in 6.5, if I had caught the sale that ended last month I probably would have ordered on in 6.5. Now however I am debating if I should wait and see if there is another sale or black Friday deal before the rebate ends, or just take the money I would put into another rifle (even at the ridiculous sale price) and get a quality 6/6.5 barrel (for the cost of the rifle and selling the stock barrel I should be able to get something nice).

So through typing this out it seems like I have talked myself into just sticking with the one I have and doing some work to it vs getting another rifle (means another scope etc too and I don't see myself shooting both). Are there factors why you think I shouldn't do this?

Finally when it comes to selling the barrel, is it better to leave it unfired or would running 100 ish rounds through it make a difference?

RustyShackle
10-13-2017, 10:09 AM
I would say unfired would bring a small premium.

russellc
10-14-2017, 09:50 AM
On the other hand, (pricewise without additional sale) 319.00 with rebate is the cost, or less of many barrels. I bought the .223 when the rebate came out for 319.00 (once I get the rebate) and when they went on sale for 319.00, bought a .308 also with 100.00 dollar rebate. It is still back ordered...if you order now, it will probably be back ordered a little while, but the rebate runs until sometime in december. No harm in waiting until then to see if there is an additional sale, even if still backordered they told me the rebate would relate back to your purchase date.

They also keep throwing up free shipping, which I managed to get both times as well. Right now it appears they have a code to get 5.00 shipping on 99.00 or more, but that is a limited time.... I dont feel the least bit slighted that I paid 319.00 for one of these, getting the second one for 100.00 less and free shipping sweetened the deal.

Russellc

tobnpr
10-14-2017, 11:13 AM
If you don't "need" the advantages of the 6.5 (longer range shooting), I'd consider seeing how the rifle shoots.
True, might bring a few bucks less at sale time. But if it shoots as well as you can, why not keep it?

Most can't shoot the difference between a .308 and 6.5 inside of around 600 yards. Its beyond that, that higher BC bullets increase their advantage. There's always this rush to jump on the "cartridge due jour", when at times all it will do for the shooter is decrease the life of their barrel. For someone that shoots only a few hundred yards, throat burners like the 6mm. Creed would be a perfect example.

Savage factory barrels can be (but not always) very accurate. I recently worked over a customer's rifle (6.5) that was brand new but had a defective chamber (he didn't want to send it back to Savage). Set back and re-cut the chamber, trued the action and bedded the HS Precision stock he'd added. It shot in the 2-3's when he got it back with factory ammo, exceptional for any factory barrel.

No reason not to " want" another rifle at that price, can't go wrong. But if the question is "need", that depends on how far you shoot, whether you handload, and your skill level. The .308 remains a capable and versatile round with long barrel life.

russellc
10-14-2017, 11:51 AM
If you don't "need" the advantages of the 6.5 (longer range shooting), I'd consider seeing how the rifle shoots.
True, might bring a few bucks less at sale time. But if it shoots as well as you can, why not keep it?

Most can't shoot the difference between a .308 and 6.5 inside of around 600 yards. Its beyond that, that higher BC bullets increase their advantage. There's always this rush to jump on the "cartridge due jour", when at times all it will do for the shooter is decrease the life of their barrel. For someone that shoots only a few hundred yards, throat burners like the 6mm. Creed would be a perfect example.

Savage factory barrels can be (but not always) very accurate. I recently worked over a customer's rifle (6.5) that was brand new but had a defective chamber (he didn't want to send it back to Savage). Set back and re-cut the chamber, trued the action and bedded the HS Precision stock he'd added. It shot in the 2-3's when he got it back with factory ammo, exceptional for any factory barrel.

No reason not to " want" another rifle at that price, can't go wrong. But if the question is "need", that depends on how far you shoot, whether you handload, and your skill level. The .308 remains a capable and versatile round with long barrel life.

Precisely why I went with .308....not to mention chances are they will have filled orders before the 6.5 to boot. I understand from the rumor mill that as of 10/25 a large batch of .308s will ship. That said, the OP already has his! If I was in his shoes and wanted a new barrel, I would be tempted to get a better "match" type .308 barrel. I only have 100, 200, and 300 yards within a reasonable distance. Maybe the OP has access to much longer range...

I do understand the logic of "Well, the 6.5 will not do worse than a .308 at 100 yards, and I have the gun if I find longer range" thinking, and I almost went 6.5. Realistically the only difference for me would be a slightly less recoiling gun. I dont think it is that different, and the .308 doesnt have to be at max loads.

Russellc