PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: New Savage owner...

ngzcaz
10-13-2017, 12:04 AM
Hey guys, new Savage owner here. Happened to see a Dick's flyer and long story short bought a Mark II GXP for $109 assuming the rebate comes thru. That's not including taxes of course. I was looking at the Marlin XT but comparing prices, the Savage was a no brainer especially since I have more guns that I can shoot as much I'd like. Yep, read the pros and cons of both, kinda like throwing a blade of grass up in the air five times and see in which direction they blow the most. For now the supplied Tasco 4x scope should do ok. Glass seems clear enough, we'll see how it shoots shortly. Feel free to share any thoughts, things to look out for, etc..

I was a bit dismayed when this one came without iron sights. Guess I'm just behind the times.. :o

mjcmichigan
10-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Welcome aboard! I have a MarkII heavy barrel 22LR...mines a tack driver....loves lead and std velocity. Remington subsonic are perfect on squirrel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ngzcaz
10-13-2017, 09:39 AM
This is my first Savage although I'm sure I had a Stevens when I was growing up, just can't remember what it was.. I hope mine shoots well compared to my Marlin SB 22 S/A. Not happy with the groups which may be due in part to the extremely hard trigger pull. In contrast my Marlin BL 30/30 lever shoot groups that I can cover with a quarter on some occasions at 100 yards and that trigger is only marginally better. Supposedly the 170 grain Core Locks shoot better than the 150's I was using but I'm not sure it can improve much than that withing its intended range.. Go figure, one Marlin I'm not happy with and the other shoots lights out.

Looking forward to sharing info about the Mark II's in general.