PDA

View Full Version : Savage 24: Selector Button

Jesse Heywood
10-12-2017, 02:02 AM
I have dad's Model 24, which was his favorite gun. Date code C, 1951, .22/.410, which coincides with when he said it was purchased new. He used it for small game and varmints, as well as quail & pheasant until he bought a 12 gauge about 3 years later. Dad quit hunting around 1960, when my baby sister was born. With 4 kids and 12+ hour days directing B-52 repairs there was no time for hunting. The gun sat neglected for 40 years. The gun has spent 18 years in my safe, and I am now motivated to return it to firing condition.

Two concerns. First is the selector button, old style, pops out about 1/32” when moved. Visual inspection of the selector reveals no damage, and it appears to be attached to the button. I don't know if this is a concern and would appreciate some input.

Second concern is the forward trigger guard screw is loose. It appears the only way to tighten is with a complete disassembly of the frame. I found a video for installing the mainspring, but haven't located instructions for stripping the frame.

Thanks.

Jesse Heywood
10-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Since there have been no responses, I started digging through gunsmithing books. Found instructions in the NRA rifle & shotgun book for the model 94-C. Looks like the same engineer designed both guns, the firing pin selector being the difference.

Following those instructions, I removed the trigger pin, followed the mainspring, which isn't too difficult to remove using a drill press. I had to fashion a screwdriver blade to remove the top snap screw.

The next step is to remove the top snap sleeve. Book says to gently pry the sleeve off, but it doesn't move applying moderate leverage. Has anyone removed this? How hard was it to pry off?

Jesse Heywood
10-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Got the snap sleeve off. Pried on both sides simultaneously. The rust runs deep.

Finished disassembly and found what I think is the problem with the selector. The selector looks like new. The locking bolt was rusted to the pin, which caused some damage on disassembly. But there was some rust flaking, which could have interfered with the selector. I first thought the bolt was missing a chunk. Looking at an image on Numrich's site the missing chunk is normal.