PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 FCP-SR scope mounting problem

Gunmunky
10-06-2017, 11:46 PM
Hello
I recently purchased a Savage 10FCP-SR. I was installing the scope this evening and ran into an issue. I had pulled the scope mount off to clean any oil from underneath and to clean out the mounting holes before reinstalling.
Upon reinstallation I noticed that the front mounting screw would not seat completely. I removed the mount and looked into the hole to see if there was something in there. I noticed that the hole was obstructed by something , possibly a broken tap or other piece of metal.
I ran the screw in and it only had three threads available. The other three appeared to be thru holes. Should the front hole also be a thru hole? I did try to see if I could easily remove the obstruction but no luck.

Thanks for any insight.

Matt

foxx
10-07-2017, 06:38 AM
The screw hole does run thru the action, but the barrel the barrel shank is there when barrel is installed.

Gunmunky
10-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. Should the hole only have three threads available though. The front screw does not seat enough to tighten down on the scope base. When I tighten the screw it bottoms out and the scope base is still loose.

bsekf
10-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Try using a dental pick to search the screw hole. Then, take the barrel off and see if the hole goes all the way through OR grind some off the screw until it tightens OR take the rifle back. Savage is notorious for faulty scope base holes.

Bill

foxx
10-07-2017, 09:12 AM
I think 3 threads is enough. Grind the screw a bit shorter so it does not bottom out and it will be fine.

RustyShackle
10-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Picture(s) would help. Are you saying there are only three threads in the front hole before coming to the bbl?

Gunmunky
10-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will see if I can pick out any metal. I tried a bit last night but I will give it a go again. If no luck there I will contact Savage. I would try to remove the barrel but after looking up the procedure I do not have the tools to do so.....yet. I am not a big fan of reducing thread engagement to less than the diameter of the fastener so that will be a last resort.

Matt

short round
10-07-2017, 10:44 AM
The front screw hole is over the barrel threads, the screw is shorter than other three. Check your screws, one may be shorter, if not screw needs shortened.

foxx
10-07-2017, 02:04 PM
The screw hole is only .10 inch deep (+/-). Sometimes crud from bluing process gets in there and when they tighten the screw the crud gets pushed to the bottom of the hole, slamming against the barrel threads and fills the bottom slightly, giving less room for the screw. It's very common. I have mounted scopes onto hundreds of heavy recoiling Savage rifles. Some of them have this "problem" and it's NEVER caused any issues, even if I've shortened the front screw a bit to keep it from bottoming out before setting tight. I would use blue loc tite and call it good.

Gunmunky
10-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Ok, it just seemed odd that all the screws were the same length. It would have been understandable if one was shorter. Must have been put together on a Monday.....

Thanks again for all the responses. Off to finish the scope install!!

foxx
10-07-2017, 04:06 PM
The factory mount screws for the 10 FCP-SR are all the same length. It's okay, I promise.

celltech
10-09-2017, 09:16 AM
I had to buy a bottom tap just to chase/clean Savage scope mounting holes. Their scope hole guy needs to drink more coffee in the morning....