PDA

View Full Version : Axis II model - Recoil Lug question

P.Connell
10-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Can a standard 110 style recoil lug be used on an Axis / Axis II in stead of the factory issue.

foxx
10-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Not without modifying the front of the action.

Mb1500
10-07-2017, 02:19 AM
Not without modifying the front of the action.

I assume this would require removing more material where the current slot is cut? Have you done this successfully?

foxx
10-07-2017, 06:34 AM
I have only read about it. Sharp Shooter Supply does it. To do it properly requires a lathe, I am sure. Looking at it, I don't see any other way.

bowhntr62a
10-07-2017, 09:04 AM
I've heard the same thing . You have to turn on a lathe the front of the action to make the 110 type recoil lug to mate up accurately !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

P.Connell
10-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Thank you all for the information, think I will stay with the Model 11 Trophy Hunter then instead of the Axis series. Would their be a need of having the face of the receiver trued up on them. And if so who would you recommend.

foxx
10-07-2017, 02:11 PM
No, there is no reason to think it might need that. Very rare if it does. Sharp Shooter Supply is the best Savage gun smith on the planet. I would not have anyone do any kind of action truing but him. A little research of Savage Action "Timing and Truing" will learn ya about his T&T work. Does not make them any more accurate, really, but makes them a nicer, smoother, easier bolt lift and function. For the typical hunting rifle, it's totally "overkill".

Robinhood
10-07-2017, 03:43 PM
I have found that one of Savage assembly processes can have an impact on barrel alignment. I don't know the process but I can tell you I have seen what I would call a peen type mark that may be used to straighten the action/lug/barrel junction. It raises proud metal on the face near the outside edge. You can see it with your eyes and an indicator, feel it with a hone or file. I would never take a factory barrel off just to true it though. Since you mention SSS I think you would find that he does true the face of the action when doing a T&T. What Fred does to time and true does work wonders on many actions.

DrThunder88
10-07-2017, 08:24 PM
I do wonder how much accuracy that interface accounts for. Quantifying the effects of any given accurizing procedure or product and then applying it to rifles in general seems like an insurmountable task, largely because there are so many factors and they may intertwine with each other.

So, yeah...the pipe cutter Axis might be a thing I do.