PDA

View Full Version : SSS Comp for hunting?

Smokinghole
10-03-2017, 02:49 PM
I keep seeing everyone here say how great the SSS trigger works for them. I'm looking to improve the trigger on my home built GRS Berserk stocked rifle. I have a 3lb single stage on one if my ARs (well the one I shoot the most) and it leaves me wanting more for this bolt rifle.

How's the SSS set as heavy as it goes, 2lbs? I'm thinking that's as low as I'd like to go. I'd even consider just a Timney replacement to get 2-3lbs. My rifle currently has a non-accutrigger with only two adjustment screws so anything seems it'd be an improvement over what I have now. I'm dealing with a 2006ish action.

I'm not scared or intimidated of the trigger guard mod needed with the SSS trigger. Just wondering more how heavy the upper limit really is, for hunting safety purposes. I rarely walk with a round chambered but I would like the safety to remain functional and do it's job should I need it to.

I searched but couldn't really find someone talking about recommending the SSS for hunting or how it shoots at it's heaviest, seems everyone is looking for a sub 1lb trigger with the SSS.

Edit:. I am not really looking at Rifle Basix at the moment because it seems that many believe their quality has gone done recently from what I can gather. I've seen multiple reviews comparing the SAV 2 to MIM parts with tooling marks. There seems to be minimal complaints directed at SSS and Timney. SSS complaints seem like someone that didn't know how to install the trigger most often.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Robinhood
10-03-2017, 08:32 PM
It is doable. See if you can find one.

RustyShackle
10-03-2017, 08:41 PM
See if you can find a three screw trigger!

Smokinghole
10-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Well I contacted Brownells to see how long they expect the backorder to last. If the BBB complaints and reputation of not delivering are still a chronic issue, I will likely just order a Timney. Precision Reloading has them on sale for $75.

J.Baker
10-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Go ahead and order the Timney, though I find the 2.5-6lb AccuTrigger more than adequate for a hunting rifle.

Fred and Lisa (SSS) just shipped out the latest run of their triggers about a week ago which included some to Tactical Works and Brownells, so they likely won't be getting any more anytime soon. This recent run will likely be the last ones they make because they just require too much time. This last batch took over a year to get finished just because of a lack of time with everything else they're offering. Fred's one person and there's only so many hours in a day so they have to prioritize, and their time is better spent on gunsmithing work and making the other products they offer that require less time per unit and are selling a lot better than the triggers have been in recent years.

Smokinghole
10-06-2017, 07:16 AM
That makes sense. I ordered a Timney. I don't have an accutrigger as it stands so anything will be an improvement. I've never used an accutrigger and not sure I'd like the blade design. I know one would be a bit cheaper but I'm not pinching pennies on this rifle I've paid $1000 between a stock, rings, scope base, and scope. "Splurging" on a trigger is ok.

Haiku_Rodney
10-06-2017, 03:51 PM
I installed a Timney on 110CL. I just set it to what felt comfortable. I think it's about 3lbs. It a great trigger and has really helped with my hunting. I did have a few challenges with the installation but that was just because I was unfamiliar with how the trigger interfaced with the rifle.

foxx
10-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Go ahead and order the Timney, though I find the 2.5-6lb AccuTrigger more than adequate for a hunting rifle.

Fred and Lisa (SSS) just shipped out the latest run of their triggers about a week ago which included some to Tactical Works and Brownells, so they likely won't be getting any more anytime soon. This recent run will likely be the last ones they make because they just require too much time. This last batch took over a year to get finished just because of a lack of time with everything else they're offering. Fred's one person and there's only so many hours in a day so they have to prioritize, and their time is better spent on gunsmithing work and making the other products they offer that require less time per unit and are selling a lot better than the triggers have been in recent years.

Dang. I liked them. A bit to fuss with, but they were nice triggers.

Smokinghole
10-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Well I got the Timney yesterday, had it installed within 5 min. Stupid easy. Played with adjustments for a while. I have it set up pretty nice now. It's a touch lighter than my rise armament single stage AR trigger (~3#). I think I'm going to hit the range this afternoon with some verification ocw loads. I just need to retorque my actions screws.

Pretty nice feel. I don't have many bolt action triggers to compare to, but compared against the high end AR triggers I have, it has a nice break. At $90 and super fast drop in I'd do it again for a non-accutrigger equiped gun.