PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis 308 HR - 2100 rounds

ivob
09-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Hi yall
It has racked up just over 2,100 rounds today - still very accurate - I loaded up another 130 rounds of 147g (Campro) bullets and when I chambered one of them when I went to eject the round it didn't had to get it out with my fingers. I am not too worried about this (now) once I have a chance to shoot these rounds may take a closer look at it. I may take it in to my local smith to repair if required. Overall still satisfied with this rifle. Cheers and happy shooting..

ivo

ivob
09-28-2017, 01:10 PM
HR sb HB (Heavy Barrel)

Mb1500
09-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Good to see the rifle going strong after 2100 rounds!

DrThunder88
09-29-2017, 03:53 AM
Very cool! I am bad about tracking the number of shots through my rifles, so good work on that too!

ivob
09-29-2017, 08:50 PM
I've kept detail records from the first round down the pipe - I took apart the bolt and reassembled it the ejector pin was a little bent (the piece that sits inside the small spring) I think I straightened it out and it seems to eject rounds - may bring it to my smith to get it rebuilt with a stronger spring.

30-06shooter
09-30-2017, 03:45 PM
Awesome. Glad to see a budget rifle going strong after 2K rounds.

ivob
10-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Well I did shoot my reloads yesterday (Saturday) and the ejection was noticeably weak the round sometimes spun around inside the port or simply fell out - decided to take it to my local gunsmith to clean and replace worn/weak springs - also asked them to check the barrel for wear this should give me a very good idea on how long these Savage Barrels last. All in all the Axis is a darn good rifle for the money. My only upgrade was the trigger the stock is completely stock (I mostly shoot off a Caldwell bag. If I find a used HB Axis (Indian Head) at a gun show will most likely buy it because they are shooters.

ivob
10-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Update:
I took my Axis to my gun smith (Al Simmons Gun Shop) in Hamilton, Ontario asked them to give me an update on the condition of the barrel (throat wear) etc and to give it the once over. I received it back yesterday they cleaned it up, disassembled the bolt (cleaned everything) it now ejects well. As for the condition overall its in very good condition as for the barrel its shows no accuracy affecting wear at all - they said the barrel can last up to 8,000 rounds which is great news. They further said that Savage barrels are top notch they make them for more expensive guns too. It was nice to hear this from them and they didn't try to sell me something else.

Now I think I may be on a quest to find a Savage Heavy Barrel in 223 at a gun show to add to my collection.

cheers and happy shooting

wbm
10-08-2017, 10:06 AM
If I find a used HB Axis (Indian Head)

There ya go. Look for these myself.