PDA

View Full Version : Recoil lug bedding with tape?

KYhunter
09-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Read a great deal about bedding the recoil lug on inexpensive plastic stocks and the results are mixed. This may be a less than brilliant question but as a temporary or simple test could tape around the recoil lug be used to snug up or reduce any gap if any between e recoil lug and the slot it fits into? Just seems it could be a simple and quick experiment to see if bedding would have any benefit? I know it is not durable etc but seems like it might be a easy and reversible test and if it showed improvement in reducing groups from 3/4 to something smaller then the stock could be properly bedded.

I know it is "Rube Goldberg" but ?

Any feedbak on this approach or has someone tried this or something similar?
KY

jim_k
09-27-2017, 08:52 PM
I don't think so. I know people have used hot glue, and that's a hot mess, and totally worthless.

RustyShackle
09-27-2017, 09:05 PM
When you permenatly decide to bed the rifle tape around the front, bottom, and each of the sides. Leave the back(contact side) clean.

How I do it anyhow.

olddav
09-27-2017, 10:32 PM
There is a bedding technique that is being used for 22 rim fire rifle. Some in the rim fire world use aluminum tape to bed their rifles. If you want to try something a little different then I would try the aluminum tape. It will require many, many layers.
I'm not suggesting that use the rim fire tape method and I'm not sure I would try it, but I'm pretty sure that I would not admit it if I did.

bsekf
09-28-2017, 09:52 AM
The tape on the all but the rear of the lug makes it easier to take apart and you remove the tape after bedding. I always bump the butt when putting it together to make sure the lug is tight against the bedding.

Bill

big honkin jeep
09-28-2017, 05:11 PM
The purpose of bedding the stock in the lug area is to ensure perfect contact and recoil transfer from the recoil lug to the stock.
I don't think "shimming" with tape would have the desired effect.

bsekf
09-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Exactly right Jeep! That's why I bump the stock when putting it together.

Bill