PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's Savage 12FV Experiment

celltech
09-25-2017, 08:00 PM
So I sent an e-mail off to Boyd's but thought I would post here and get yalls opinion as well...

So I have a Cabela's 12FV special in .308 on the way. I have this nutty idea of turning it into a project where I cut the barrel down and convert it to an external mag.

Now Boyd's has stocks for the 12 series, but the listing for a 12 short action with mag is for "Factory Barrel". The other blind mag models have selections for both "Bull" and "Factory".

I thought that by default the 12 *was* a bull barrel, or heavy varmint as they call it. Anyone know if there is a difference and what it is? I would imagine I could just sand it down if I had to...

And beyond that I assume I would just need some bottom metal and a flat style trigger guard to finish it off. I assume it does not have to be anything special or crazy to find parts?

Anybody tried this style conversion and not just slapped it in a AICS compatible stock?

Thanks for looking!

foxx
09-25-2017, 09:32 PM
TO convert a 12fv to dbm you only need to get the bottom metal or "surround" for the magazine and the bottom piece for the mag. The trigger guard that comes with the 12fv will work with the other bottom metal piece you need for the mag. Contact Savage Customer Service parts Dept for the parts you need.

As for Boyds, you can open up any of their stocks that are contoured for "Factory barrel" so as to fit the 12fv's varmint contour barrel. If you find one that has Bull barrel, that will work, too.

Look for a short action, center feed, top bolt release, detachable magazine for either bull barrel (preferable) or "factory". It does not matter if you call it a "10", "11" or "12". What matters is Short Action, Center feed, Top bolt release, detachable mag.

Mozella
09-25-2017, 10:07 PM
.......... snip.......... What matters is Short Action, Center feed, Top bolt release, detachable mag.

Yes....................Correct.

And if the barrel touches the Boyd's stock, get yourself a dowel and some good quality 60 grit sand paper and have at it. This is a normal procedure when making some sort of target gun using a Boyd's stock and it's as easy as can be.

celltech
09-26-2017, 07:11 PM
Yeah...I was pretty sure already on the whole 10 through 12 action fitting the same stock, but thought all the 12's were bull barrels.....or maybe there were thinner models in the past? None of my Boyd's from previous builds needed to be sanded and cleared easily. Guess I was just hoping to avoid milling it out if I could. Now to find something cheap and keep the spirit of this build alive! I am actually more worried about finding some cheap bottom metal...

SageRat Shooter
09-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Savage bottom metal runs about $150.00... at least for the Pro Varmint stock they have. If I remember correctly, they also have it available in plastic, but I could be mistaken... It may have just been the trigger guard.

Texas10
09-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Start here : https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Laminated-Thumbhole-Stock-for-Detachable-Mag-Rifles-by-Revolution_p_13974.html

They have many others including some Choate tactical that might fit your needs.

RC20
10-08-2017, 04:12 PM
EABCO stock is nice, but it takes a lot of fitting and finally bedding. Havnt needed to do that with the Boyds (some minor cleanup around the rear tang area.

Regardless of what Boyds calls it, its not a Bull, barely a Varmint and maybe not quite as I recall (moved to many guns around!)

On the other hand, I have opened up all 3 of my stocks just fine.

Two were the Boyds, one was the Light Thumbhole. No issues and plenty of material left.

Various ways, I just wrapped 80 grit sandpaper around a dowel and worked it down. Then sealed it with Formby's.