PDA

View Full Version : Looking for any info i can get about an older model 16 in 300RUM

davinman
09-25-2017, 05:56 PM
A friend of mine was given a model 116 in 300rum, he knows nothing about the rifle, and he does not like recoil so he wants to sell it. i called savage with the serial # and they say it was made in aug of 2000. is there anything that any of you "savage guru's" can tell me to look at or look out for with said rifle? i know that if it has alotta rnds through it the bbl may be shot out, but anything other than that would be helpful. thanks in advance folks...

Hotolds442
09-25-2017, 06:50 PM
If its truly a 300 RUM, and stainless, it would be a Model 116. Model 16’s are stainless short actions. If it’s blued, it would be a model 110.
A good borescope will do more to tell you the condition of the barrel than any keyboard warrior possibly could.

Robinhood
09-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Fact

davinman
09-25-2017, 08:49 PM
yup, its a long action & stainless, so its a 116. it has a laminate stock also. i have no bore
scope, so guess if i want to check the bore out i have to bring it to a gunsmith...... my friend wants $500 for it, think its a good price if the gun is in ship shape?

big honkin jeep
09-25-2017, 10:45 PM
I around 2000-2001I bought a lefty 116FLSSAK (with the adjustable brake) chambered in .300RUM from a buddy that he fired exactly 5 times before selling it.
Too much recoil he said. At the time the gun world was on fire with magnumitis and this was the biggest and baddest around. (sans .30/378 Weatherby mag) since I shoot southpaw I figured I'd try it out

The bite can be worse than just a sore/bruised shoulder. Shoot it in moderation. The day after benching a couple of boxes of ammo I went to the doc with chest pains not even thinking remotely it was shooting related. After lots of testing by the doctors they came back and said I had somehow separated my ribs from my sternum. That's when the light went on and I realized that joker had damaged me pretty good. All that damage but never hurt me at the range or left a bruise.

I'll never shoot another white tailed deer with mine because it literally blows them to smithereens when loaded with full load power level 3 ammunition. (180gr sirocco bondeds) Nothing left but a deerskin bag with purple mush inside and an exit the size of a basketball all that at 240 yards.
Remington claims delivers 21% more energy than a .300 Win mag and carrys nearly as much energy at 400 yards as a 30-06 does at the muzzle. You can definitely tell when the brake is on or off with this one no question.

Due to complaints such as this to the factory Remington offers "power level" ammunition in 3 power levels with Power level 3 being full .300RUM spec, power level 2 being equal to .300 Win mag/WSM, and power level 1 being equal to 30-06.
Watch out she's one bad mamma jamma with power level 3 ammo.

Remington also made some 50% reduced recoil ammo for a while, I'm unsure if it's still available.
If you hand load then Hodgdons H4895 may become your new best friend, as it can be loaded down to 60% of Hodgdons max published load data. Dont try to simply reduce below published minimums with other powders as it will cause hang fires and high pressures because the powder wont burn in a column it'll all be laying in the bottom of the case, causing the primer to ignite the powder from top to bottom as it lays sideways in the case.

They are also the best candidate in the Savage lineup to build a .338 edge repeater, because they have the perfect bolt head, magazine setup ready to go and all it takes is a barrel swap. It will also be different from most Savages because I believe it will be controlled round feed instead of push feed. The .338 edge performance is said to be roughly equivalent to .338 Lapua performance.

Good luck.