PDA

View Full Version : Gun sled and portable shooting bench

colt56
09-18-2017, 09:53 PM
I don't like traditional shooting ranges, I much prefer to go on private land then set up and shoot. What does everyone use for a shooting bench and rest? I currently have a shooting bench that is too short and Caldwell tack driver shooting bags. I know many people on here shoot competition so they must know their shooting rests/gun sled/whatever you want to call it much better than me. Any suggestions would be great.

SageRat Shooter
09-19-2017, 11:57 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Big-Game-Swivel-Action-Shooting-Bench/708606.uts

I use this bench in the PD fields I shoot at... It's the best one I've found to date and is more stable than the Caldwell table. I also use bags, so I took the little cradle thing off and just threw my bags on the table.

yobuck
09-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Its been said that any type rest is better than none.
That said, even one that works well for some where they shoot, wont necessarily work well for someone else with different terrain.
Picture that Cabelas bench sitting on a spot with a steep slope for example.
If you always use the same location, you might be better off spending some time with a pick and shovel to level the shooting location.
Then even a small home made picnic table type works well as does just shooting prone with a bipod or sandbags.

colt56
10-09-2017, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the info fellas

jpx2rk
10-09-2017, 07:34 AM
I made a shooting bench/table out of a Ryobi miter saw stand/base and a couple of 3/4" 2x4' pieces of plywood. top attaches with QD type clamps included with the miter stand. Breaks down/assembles in a couple mintues. I use it for ARA practice sessions, but it big enough to set up a varmint rifle with bags on and be comfy/stable. I use a Bald Eagle front rest and rear bag in ARA matches.