PDA

View Full Version : 358 Win. build

Hunterdude
09-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I think its a great forum, LOTS of good info here. I'm getting a 358 Win. built on a Stevens 200 action with a stagger feed magazine. I 'm trying to find out if a stock off of a Savage 11bg will work with this action? Its just what I've been looking for and I found a good deal on one and I'm hoping it will work. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BobT
09-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I have never heard of the 11bg, so I can't say for sure if it will work but the bolt spacing is the part that really matters for a semi drop in fit. With a bit of ingenuity most things can be "adjusted" enough to get the job done but the results may not be pretty. Hopefully one of the experts here will chime in and let you know for sure.

If you have a stagger feed short action then any other stagger feed short action stock should work as is.

The .358 is an interesting caliber and I have thought about building one many times myself, keep us posted.

Bob

black frog
09-13-2010, 09:52 AM
I know nothing about the 11bg or that action, but the 358 is my favorite caliber!

Highly underrated, I have several rifles in 358.

Whole lotta 'whoop-factor' in a short action case.

Why the 358 never really caught on is beyond me......

redriderbob
09-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Kool build, my fav Black Bear round. Frog you have that right "Whole lotta 'whoop-factor' in a short action case.."

Hunterdude
09-14-2010, 06:33 AM
My son already has a 358 Win. It was a gift to him from his uncle for his birthday. Its on a Stevens 200 action, with a 24" A&B barrel ,glass bedded , in a Boyds thumbhole stock and man does that thing ever shoot! Believe it or not it will shoot one ragged hole at 100 yds for a 3 shot group!!! I just had to have one of my own after shooting his. I now LOVE that round. My son just turned 7 and I knew there will be several years before he could use it but I didnt have the hart to take it out and use it myself as I didn't want to take a chance on messing it up. I never had an uncle that did something like that for me. I like that thumbhole stock on my sons gun but Boyds has changed them from his. The newer ones have a wider forearm than his and I myself prefer a slender forearm and I really prefer some checkering on my guns. I have also thought about just going with a factory synthetic stock for less chance of scratching up the gun and saving on some weight as this will be my "woods" gun. I'm gonna try black bear hunting this year for the first time. Where I live we have already saw 3 different bears at the upper end of our food plot in the last month. I'll keep you posted on how the build goes. Thanks for the info.

ellobo
09-15-2010, 01:23 AM
That Boyds stock can be thinned down just as though it was a walnut stock. So if you like it get one and get to work. I thinned out one in the JRS style Boyds laminate to make a lighter woods gun in .308. Not difficult at all. I gave it a good oil finsih.

Wl Lobo

Hunterdude
09-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I decided to order a factory synthetic . Got it from Northlander , I feel I got a great deal in it and it should be here Monday or Tuesday. Saved enough money on the stock compared to a Boyds (I know it probably isn't near as good though) to get a good set of rings and bases along with a Limbsaver recoil pad and still have less money in it . Now I've got to decide on what scope to get. I'll keep you posted.

Con
09-18-2010, 03:56 PM
I now LOVE that round.

The 358Win often has that effect. I've owned 358Win, 35Whelen and 350RemMag ... still have the 358Win and am about to dock an A&B barrel to 20" to fit to a Stevens. highly under-rated and unappreciated round. I just wish a Barnes TSX in 180gr was brought to market in 35cal.
Cheers...
Con

Hunterdude
09-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I thought about having my new barrel shortened to 20" but as good as my sons shoots I'm afraid to mess with it so I guess I'll leave it at 24". The crown on my sons A&B barrel is different from the one that came on mine. My barrel looks like it has an 11 degree target crown on it and the one my sons gun has looks like one of the older Remington crowns. Both barrels are A&B barrels. Go figure?

Hunterdude
10-01-2010, 06:57 PM
An update. I decided to go with a factory synthetic stock for now. Ordered it from Northlanders and have gotten it. Man those molding lines in these stocks are sharp, Anyway I've got them all scraped down and got me a limbsaver recoil pad and have it installed. I got everything together and have it off to my brother in law to have it all put together. Maybe it won't be long till he has it put together. If I was to decide to paint the stock another color , What is the best paint to use for this purpose? Thanks in advance.... Hunterdude

ellobo
10-01-2010, 07:40 PM
The Krylons seem to wrk well on those plastic stocks. Steel wool the surface to give it some purchase and remove any residual release agent and you should be good to go.

El Lobo.

Corsica Coatings
10-14-2010, 11:42 PM
I put an A&B .358 win barrel cut to 20" on a Savage Edge and ran a few rounds thru it...most groups were around 2" which is good for what the gun is used for most of the time.

The .358 Win is a fine round, I have 3 now and a .356 Win in a Marlin 336 to go with my 35 Rems and 35 WHelen. Used to have a 350 Mag in a 660 Rem but sold it....mistake. I also have a Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag.

Yeah.....the 35's do the job just fine and you can't have too many!! If I could only have one rifle......

Hunterdude
10-16-2010, 10:20 AM
My gun should be done soon, it will be a little while before I can get it though as my bro in law lives quite aways from me. He is coming up to hunt with me this fall, Thanksgiving week, to try for some bear and deer. I should get it then. I cant complain about the time frame though,he's not charging me to put it together plus he got me a 2-7x33 Leupold VX1 scope to put on it for letting him come and hunt on our property. Not a bad deal at all if you ask me!

Con
10-16-2010, 05:17 PM
I thought about having my new barrel shortened to 20" but as good as my sons shoots I'm afraid to mess with it so I guess I'll leave it at 24".

The contour is quite heavy for a 35cal ... adds a bit too much weight. Docked at 20" it looks a bit 'clubby' ... but by golly mine shoots! This is the first 5 shot group fired from it using factory 200gr SilverTip ammunition. This is from a rifle with no bedding or tweaking other than a trigger lightening job. Group was shot with a 4x scope, using the car bonnet as a rest ... ie it was a bit slap dash but I needed to know how it'd shoot. ;) High left is a flyer ... not that I care. ;D
Cheers...
Con

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/358CRG/IMG_5719.jpg

mike3132
10-16-2010, 09:30 PM
You guys should try one of the .358 WSSM wildcats that are legal for deer hunting in Indiana. 25 WSSM case necked up to .35 caliber. Mine has a McGowen barrel 1-14 twist. Accuracy is 1" @ 200 yards. Speed is 2800 fps with 180 grain bullet.

Hunterdude
10-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Now that sounds like a shooting machine. Which 180 Gr. bullet are you using? I thought about trying some of the 180's but I've been loading the 200 gr. FTX in my sons 358 and they shoot GREAT! I hope they do as well in mine when I get it.

mike3132
10-17-2010, 11:16 AM
I use 180 Speer FP and Hornady 180 SP. The Hornady 180 SP is the most accurate of the two but the Speer is tougher built. I'm using Reload 7 in this load. This cartridge is very accurate with most any bullet and powder Ive tried and Ive shot most all the bullets made for the .358.

Russ
10-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Don't religate the 358 win to a brush or woods rifle. It will reach out to 300 yds easy especially with the 180's. Think about it 180 gr 35 caliber bullet at the same velocity as a 180 gr 30 caliber bullet. Would you say that a 30-06 is a brush gun? Yes the 180 gr 35 caliber does have less BC but out to 300 it is as good as the 30 caliber and makes a bigger hole.

Hunterdude
10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
C'mon guys you all are really making me wish I already had my 358 and its still a month away. I have to keep telling myself I won't hunt with my sons gun. I guess I could go ahead and order some of the 180's and have them ready!

Hunterdude
10-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Spoke to my Bro in law. He's got my gun (358) together and he's supposed to get to shoot it this weekend. I sure hope it shoots as well as my sons. I'll keep posted on how it does.