PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Origins of engraved Savage Stevens 311

Deeplake
09-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Recently purchased 311 Stevens Savage 16 gauge. The receiver, top of barrel have detailed engraving. It has an A and G with circles and F K above on all three parts. The wood is superior to any 311 I have seen. It was manufactured in Chicopee Massachusetts. Question if this was factory produced or customized. Is there a historian for Savage that questions could be sent to? Thanks Steve

J.Baker
09-19-2017, 02:58 AM
Stevens were always bare-bones low-cost utility guns with no frills, so if it has any engraving it's not factory. Without seeing the amount of figure in the wood best I can say is that it could go either way. Typically they had plain straight grain walnut (later hardwood), but as with anything a nice piece of wood could have slipped through and been shaped for a 311. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Deeplake
09-19-2017, 09:21 PM
I do not believe I have the ability to post a picture here or I would. No doubt the gun is a 311. The engraving is detailed and professional. The gun smith that received this gun for me was impressed. I predict it was made in the last year of operation in the Chicopee factory. Idles Savage have an archivist/historian? Thanks Steve

J.Baker
09-20-2017, 07:17 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20849-Lettering-a-vintage-Savage-firearm