PDA

View Full Version : Savage 338 Lapua

miscverb
09-16-2017, 10:49 AM
Hi everybody, I have been thinking about getting a Savage 338 Lapua for long range shooting; 1200 yards and out. I currently have 6.5 Creedmoors that are a kick, but I am thinking about adding something new to my collection. I do not reload yet, and am looking at the 338 target lapua and the 338 FCP lapua. For those of you that have one of these, are they good/fun shooters? Does factory ammo work well? Any and all input appreciated.

Texas10
09-16-2017, 04:41 PM
I have one in my hands as I write. Belongs to a fellow shooter and needs a little "tune up". I can tell you the model 112 Lapua Magnum is a LARGE shank, single feed action with target accutrigger and muzzle brake, mounted in a BV laminated stock. Weighs about 12 lbs without the scope. It has the more enclosed action port and no magazine, which most will agree is much stronger.

There are differences between the models, so choose carefully. This one is the target model, specifically made for long range target shooting and competition.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/112MagnumTarget

adam38654
09-16-2017, 04:50 PM
If you get into reloading look into the 338 edge. Much cheaper too shoot and even better performance based off of the 300 ultra mag brass that is even easier to find.

adam38654
09-16-2017, 04:51 PM
How does savage incorporate single feeding into a long action? I can't find anything to convert my 110 to single feed.

bearcatrp
09-16-2017, 06:22 PM
I have the FCP. Only reload but boy is it a shooter. Banging steel @1000 yards a few weeks back. 3 shots to get on target and the rest hit with ease. I shoot Hornady 285 ELD-M with H-1000. Used to own a 10T 6.5 CM but just wasn't cutting it with me plus I wanted a big boomer to replace a 50 BMG I used to have. You will definitely want to reload if you step up to 338LM. 300WM is close on ballistics and cheaper to shoot. I really enjoy mine and have no plans on getting rid of it. I like having a magazine too so it was a choice between the FCP or stealth. Barrel is 26 inches with the FCP vs 24 inches with the stealth. My plan is a 1 mile shoot. Need the longer barrel for that. You won't go wrong getting the FCP. Good luck deciding.

RC20
09-16-2017, 10:37 PM
How does savage incorporate single feeding into a long action? I can't find anything to convert my 110 to single feed.

Well those folks have all the machine and can order anything they want stock wise.

In this case they simply do not machine a mag cut in the bottom! It actually costs less (grin) even if you pay more!

I did converted one, not a big deal, I filled the mag area with a wooden block. Works fine. You can get a single shot thingy from
SSS I believe.

DonB
09-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Hey Miscverb, for what it's worth, I have the 112 target magnum in 338 lapua. It is a dedicated target gun, heavy and long. That said it is also the most accurate rifle I own. I love shooting this thing! While the muzzle brake is loud, it reduces the recoil to a mere push and is holding groups at 3/8" every time I shoot it. Even my 12 year old grandson loves shooting it. (See my post, "The one mile journey" for more on that) I can't say enough to describe how much I like this rifle.

hafejd30
09-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Either choice would be good. I have an FCP in 300 WM and a 110 BA in 338 Lapua with a 30" Shilen on it. If your set on the 338 design I'd just get the Lapua over the edge. The cost is about the same between the two (if you buy dedicated edge brass) every other component cost the same for either chambering. Running 300 RUM brass in the edge will yield less firings per case vs good lapua brass in the Lapua.

If it were me I'd look more into the 300. May not have the knockdown power of the 338 but shoot easily to a mile with good BC billets, cost less to reload for and way less to buy factory ammo for. Also will not foul out as easily as the 338 will. I have both and would buy the 300 first if I didn't reload. That said the 338 is accurate and hits like a train.

hafejd30
09-17-2017, 02:23 PM
My lapua brass came with my rifle when I bought it from a member on here. The other components I bought on sale over a period of a few months. Less the cost of brass I reload for $1.02 a round for the 338 LM. 300 SMK/RE33/Lapua brass/CCI 250

miscverb
09-17-2017, 06:56 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Do any of you use factory match ammo? If so any good?

miscverb
09-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Hey Miscverb, for what it's worth, I have the 112 target magnum in 338 lapua. It is a dedicated target gun, heavy and long. That said it is also the most accurate rifle I own. I love shooting this thing! While the muzzle brake is loud, it reduces the recoil to a mere push and is holding groups at 3/8" every time I shoot it. Even my 12 year old grandson loves shooting it. (See my post, "The one mile journey" for more on that) I can't say enough to describe how much I like this rifle.

Don i will check that out. Thanks

DonB
09-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Sorry Miscverb, hand loads here. For me not only the most accurate, but the most affordable way to go. (Cuts the $5 a round to just over $1).