PDA

View Full Version : Barrel work

ctrout
09-15-2017, 11:10 PM
I've got a 338-06 with a long, heavy contour barrel. I think it's a McGowan but it's been a few years since I put this one together so I don't remember for sure. Anyway, the barrel shoots like it was made by a supreme being so I don't want to swap it out for a different one. It's so heavy though and I'm starting to have more trouble with my knees now so hiking it around is getting to be a chore. I want to get it turned down to a lighter contour, cut to a shorter length, and chambered to 338-06 Ackley. Last time I had work like this done, I sent a 12FV barrel to Sin Arms (Devin) and had it shortened and chambered to 223AI and he did fantastic work. I'll never get rit of that gun. The problem is that as I searched the forums here to see where to send this 338 barrel, it seems that Devin may not be in the business of barrel work anymore. Can anyone confirm this? If he is still working, can he contour this barrel for me? If he isn't still in the business, where should I send it to have it done?

bsekf
09-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Cutting the barrel off and re-crown is simple. Changing barrel contour is not. And, you are going to change the harmonics and maybe relieve some stress and that great shooter may not be any more.

Bill

adam38654
09-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Bison gun works and apache gun works will do it. For the money you would almost be into a new barrel.

RC20
09-16-2017, 01:34 PM
You are going to wreck a really good barrel.

Get an EABCO and put it on for hunting. Take off Savage.

Of just buy a low cost Savage or RA for hunting and leave as is

ctrout
09-16-2017, 03:10 PM
I had an Eabco on it before the one I have now and I never was happy with the accuracy. I always knew I could do better. I was getting 2.5" 100 yard groups with the Eabco. The McGowan is getting .75" with the same bullet. I love the gun's accuracy and power now. It's wonderful for putting elk down HARD. This barrel being as heavy as it is though, is not something that I enjoy carrying for miles a day. I absolutely HATE the rifle once I have an elk down 2 miles from my truck.

I guess that my other best option would be to sell the boat anchor barrel for the $100 that some cheapskate might be willing to pay for a used barrel and then pay the $400+ fo another custom barrel to replace it. That would be a $300 net loss. I just thought I could take less of a hit money wise if I just had the boat anchor cut, turned, and reamed.

ctrout
09-16-2017, 03:10 PM
Also, I checked the two barrel makers above and neither one lists a reamer for the 338-06 AI.

adam38654
09-16-2017, 04:45 PM
No but they could shorter and re-contour it for you. Or better yet make you a new one just like you want (minus the AI) for $219-350 tops. They can rent the AI reamer for you for $60 extra. If you still want to modify yours its only $150 with your own blank. So im assuming they will cut,crown,recountour, and chamber yours for that also

ctrout
09-16-2017, 05:05 PM
I just found a shop here locally that specializes in bolt action rifles so I called them. They quoted me $400 to pull the barrel, cut, crown, contour, ream, refinish, install, and headspace to my specs. They received high praise on the website that I found them at, and at $400 for everything, I think I'll support this local business. The only thing I have to do is supply the reamer which it sounds like I would have to do anyway with many of the shops that would do the work. I won't be going forward with the work until after elk season because I don't want to be messing with restocking the rifle and working up a load over the next 5 weeks. I'd rather have the several months of winter to find and fit a new stock and then spring and fall to work up a new hunting load.

RC20
09-16-2017, 10:33 PM
Hint: You could get a whole new pre fit barrel to your exact specs for $400 not to mention the reamer rent or buy.

If you have just shot it for hunting I suspect someone on this site would be happy to give you a reasonable amount for it.

Heck, I got $125 for a used Savage Varmint contour. He took one look at how clean the barrel was an no issue about buying it.

My guess is If it was a caliber I was interested in, low mileage I would offer $250 for it.

And note that you are not likely to have it shoot that well after all that work.

I would call it a lesson in how to turn a 3/4 inch shooter into a 1.5 inch shooter.

It all has to be done almost perfectly to start with and you turn down the barrel and katy bar the door let alone the chamber work and thread cut