PDA

View Full Version : 10 FCP-SR build 6.5 CM

redleg1013
09-14-2017, 11:42 PM
So I've searched the threads and can't find an answer to my question so here goes...
I just got a new 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM and am wanting to build it up some for target maybe even some PRS shooting, as well as filling my freezer. My first question is, sine I have to Johnny Cash this little project, which do I start with; glass or stock. I can see merits to both arguements, but I'm stuck between the B&C M40 and Boyds At-One. The M40 is .5" too long for my LOP, and what about bedding? I have a TPS 20 MOA rail for the scope I have picked out, a Falcon menace 4-18x44.

Then there's the box mag... do I upgrade it to accurate mag or leave it stock?

Thanks in advance for helping a newb.

RustyShackle
09-15-2017, 12:59 AM
A poor fitting stock will always hamper usability IMHO. That said, I think the m40 is the better stock and shouldn't require bedding. I haven't owned an At-One. So I don't know for sure.

I would leave the mag stock to start with (depending on stock upgrade) and see what you think before dropping coin on something you ultimately may decide works great for your intended purposes.

Rackfreak210
09-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Fwiw mine is completely stock and shoots bug holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redleg1013
09-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Just to clarify, one of the reasons I want to change the stock is to add some weight and soak up more of the recoil. I think a third option for a solution to the problem would be to toss a brake on it; both the cowl induction and lil bast*rd brakes tout a 50+% reduction. In theory it would still be a lighter rifle so as to not be overly encumbering while hunting, but still manageable for my wife to not get kicked around.

SageRat Shooter
09-15-2017, 11:50 AM
We've all had that dilemma. I recently built a 260 Rem for long range target shooting/varminting and thought it would be a great "backup" gun for deer and elk. By the time I finished it (Boyds Pro varmint stock & Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and a 25" CBI match Varmint barrel) swapped out the plastic bottom metal for real metal and added a Harris Bipod, it turned into a 13.4 lb. rifle... Not exactly a pack it all day hunting rifle.... It's rather difficult to have a rifle that's perfect for both applications. I left the stock DBM alone as it will hold 4 rounds for hunting and at the range I single load it anyway.

The M40 is gonna be the better stock all the way around IMO. I don't have an AT-One as I find them gimmicky. It would probably be lighter than the M40 I would think though... As far as bedding goes... I pillar bedded the action in my Boyds PV, but have not had to glass bed the action yet at this point. It may require that down the road as the stock continues to be broken in.

My results are .5 MOA accuracy at this point, using hand loaded 143 ELD-X @ 2750 FPS. I'm not a world class shooter by any means either... In the hands of one of those guys, it may be a one hole shooter.