PDA

View Full Version : 12FV in 223 on the way..A few questions if I may

Pages : [1] 2

CenturyLimited
09-12-2017, 02:26 PM
As stated in the title, I have a 12FV in 223 Remington on the way. I am anxious to get this rifle as I recently began reloading for my semi-auto 223 rifles, and have built up a supply of ammo. I want to take both to the range and trade off shooting them to allow them to cool down a bit. I also want to slow myself down a bit as well. I am trying my best to be patient, but am anxious and would appreciate any input on things I would maybe find out on my own once I get the rifle. I am wanting to be ready once it arrives. If not for the hour on the road and wait time at the range, I'd be more patient. Man, I miss being able to walk out back door and shoot rather than the need to go to a range.

As you may suspect by the nature of this rifle, I intend on shooting it off a bench. I really feel I would be shooting it as single shot rather than repeater and load one at a time. I have spent several hours researching this rifle and have found just a few videos or pictures that relate to my concerns, none of which give me a clear picture of what to expect. I was hoping to see how one loads this rifle with scope mounted. I was unsure if I would have fat finger issues loading with a one piece picatinny rail on top or a one piece DNZ mount. Due to my impatience, I ordered both a one piece rail and a two piece mount/ring. I feel one will give more options, the other more room.

1) single feed adapter. I have read up on the Sharp Shooter Supply loading ramp and am tempted to order one now to cut down on wait time. I read mixed reviews on the need to epoxy it in or works without allowing to switch back to repeater. I also hear some people can just set round on top of magazine and load while others say to single feed one must still push round in magazine. If I need to epoxy, maybe better off buying another stock and required parts to swap back and forth. At the price of complete rifle after rebate, maybe better off buying second rifle and setting one up as single feed and leaving the other alone.

2) barrel break in. Yes, this is highly debated and some say shoot and clean when done, others say clean between each shot. I will be at a public shooting range and they frown upon any type of messing with gun and putting such, which can be expected. Would be best if could just shoot and clean when get home. If I do so, does it matter if I shoot 10 or 100 rounds before cleaning? I would obviously clean before shooting first time.

3) if buy second rifle should I opt for different caliber. already set up to reload 223, but already have 223. I am not a good shot and likely not shoot past 200 yards anyway. If opt for different caliber, are the single feed adapters different or the same for 223, 204? Would I be able to swap stocks between rifles? How about if buy boyd stock could I use it on any of the model 12fv even 6.5 or 308?

4)if buy stock, would I just fill all in with block of wood and just use single feed or stagger feed single shot adapter as no other parts in gun anyway?

any comments appreciated. thank you

SageRat Shooter
09-12-2017, 02:56 PM
My brother has the 12FV in 22-250 which is pretty darn close to the 223. He is using a two piece mount on his with a Burris MTAC 30mm tube. That scope is long enough to allow him to set his eye box up correctly. It is a blind magazine and loads 4 rounds total from the top, just like the old Winchester rifles did (and may still for all I know). We usually wind up single loading rounds in the PD fields after the initial loading of the mag, and have no problem in doing so.

Barrel breakin: I'm a believer that you should shoot one round and clean(x5) and then 5 rounds and clean(x5)... After that I figure it's good to go. Others may have a different theory.
Boyd's Stock: Those are usually determined by short or long action and action screw spacing... As long as those 2 things are identical between the rifles you are wanting to swap back and forth on, it should be an option. However, I would not do that myself, the stocks usually require you to pillar bed at the least and often times a glass bedding job as well. There lies the problem with swapping back and forth, no two rifles are identical and will need to have their own "custom fit".

As far as a different caliber... that is up to you, and what you might want to use it for. 223 can reach out past 200 yards for sure, but doesn't carry much down range energy... Prairie dogs, ground hogs, ground squirrels, rabbits are what you would be shooting at that distance. you want something big enough for deer @ 200 yards, take a look at a .243 (6mm)...

Good luck to you,

RC20
09-12-2017, 03:11 PM
I may be able to help out some and yes I have the identical rifle in 308.

First I am going to issue a caution. As you are shooting a semi auto and a bolt action.

Your biggest issue if you don't separate the rounds is going to be case head separation, possible to break head off or get a gas escape. The gas escape is by far the worst as it can rupture an action (the Savage is well protected as its a fully supported case head and has two very larger gas escape vents.

At issue is the chamber of a semi auto, full re-size and full set back. That is also an issue just with the semi auto as the case heads will crack in roughly 8 rounds

You can avoid that by separating in the bolt action brass (easiest if you use two different mfgs)

Look up minimum shoulder set back. You can do that with the semi auto as well. It should work but might not. The idea is you use the case as a fire formed item, then just barely move the shoulder back by .002 (plus or minus .001)

First Single Load: I do it all the time with two magazine type rifles. I actually just tried the magazine on one (to see if it worked), as its blind and I have a rail over the top of the opening, its a bugger to load! As this is a push feed rifle, you can lay the cartridge in the eh magazine as far as is easy to put forward and it goes in just fine.

No reason to single load, but I do and happy with it, as you said, slows you down, gets you more careful and these rifles are intended for small groups (or varmitns) at long ranges.

You don't need the single loader setup but can get it if you feel like it helps.

One of mine I did exactly what you are asking for the wood block for a different reason. It was a bottom bolt release I planed on single shot for.
I made it top bolt release, got a blind Boyds magazine stock for a TBR and filled it up with a wooden block. Works just fine

I feel that a solid stock and the rail on top makes the gun more solid.

Shoot the barrel and clean it at home if the range does not allow you do clean (mine does). Get a good Carbon Cleaner, Carbon Killer 2000 is the one I use but there are several non toxic non has types out there that do vastly better than Hoppes etc.

I use a nylon brush and drip the CK2K on it, then run it through, do it again at the end. 8 or 10 of those and a dry patch, repeat until its clean.

I have no issue with 100 rounds the first go. That's barely a good break in.,

Caliber are a preference. No one can answer that. I have 3 because they appealed to me. 308, 30-06 and a 7.5 x 55 Swiss I built.

Note those are all 30 caliber and use the same bullet and primers. I may get a 6.5 at some point. If I was going to move up that's what I would get, 6.5 Creed, Lapua and 260 Remington are all very good and easy on barrels.

Texas10
09-12-2017, 05:32 PM
I bought the 12FV in 223 last year on sale. First thing to do is put it in a better stock. I bought the thumbhole laminate from EABrown. About $200 plus shipping. World of difference in fit, feel and shooting. Still a bit nose heavy though if shooting off-hand.

If you're going to single feed, I'd suggest you remove the ejector pin. You'll thank yourself for doing this every time you shoot. No more trying to pick out a brass that has flipped around backward and is laying on top of the magazine. Simply pull the brass out, return it to the tray and load a new round.

I have a one piece EGW rail on mine, Vortex scope and it shoots bug hole groups in my sons hands. No issues loading with the rail.

There are a lot of little tune ups and refinements you can do to this model to get it shooting it's absolute best. Under 1/2 moa is easy peasy. Under 1/3 moa is still not a stretch, and if you're lucky enough to get a real hummer, under .1 moa on occasion is very possible.

Good luck!

CenturyLimited
09-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Thanksfor the replies. I am still not sure what I want to do. My wife woulddefinitely say buy nothing else...EVER. I just bought a couple moreCabelas $100 gift cards on eBay for $82 each. When I use the alongwith the $25 off $100 Cabelas bucks and submit for $100 rebate, thefinal cost comes down to the point I'd be a fool not to buy anotherrifle. Bottom line with tax in Glendale AZ puts rifle at $347.13.After subtracting $25 in bucks and paying with current offer giftcards and spending $100 visa card it would be net cost of only$168.13.

Thewhole single shot idea is not to take it easy on the bullet or thebrass for accuracy purposes, but solely for the ease of loading. Iwould like to use a separate front and rear ring that bolts right tothe gun to allow the most clearance, but am afraid that the scope Iwould want to use will not have a long enough tube to accommodatethat. For the time being, I would like to use a really short NikonP223 scope. That is why I went ahead and ordered a rail. Iwill have to see how much room I have.

Ifit would be a pain to load the center feed magazine, I would havechoice of putting on a different scope with mounts that leave thecenter more open, or use a single shot adapter of some sort thatwould allow me to just drop round in chamber port and close bolt. Iam just unsure of how good they are as I do not want to think it willwork and end up pushing bullet into rear of chamber rather thanbarrel. HopefullyI am making too much out of it and it is easy enough to load the mag.I just hate fiddling with jams at the range especially since cannotreally see that well to clear it. I read where someone had doublefeed jam and had to remove stock. Not what I want to be doing at therange.

Still thinking, rather be shooting. Hurry up gun, hurry up gun, ARRIVE!

RC20
09-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Trust me, Your single loading is not an issue.

I really like Texas10 idea to remove the ejector. Never occurred to me, I can usually catch the flips but the reverse thing is annoying.

I like making small things for myself, so the block of wood appealed over a single load adaptor.

I would not go with the EABCO stock. While it is a pretty decent one, I had to relive it a lot and major futzing to get it set on the pillars so it worked right.

My brother bedded it for me and its been good.

The Boyds on the other hand was an almost perfect drop in, a miner bit of relieving around the tang and is as solid as the EABCO with a lot less work.

jpx2rk
09-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Something to try on catching or controlling the brass when running the bolt is to use your thumb to move the bolt back after being opened, and extend your fingers out straight to cover the chamber opening. The brass will eject but either fall back into the chamber or you can catch it with your fingers. Takes a bit of practice/experimenting, but it works. I've notice some "precision" shooters using this method at the range to protect their brass from dirt & grime.

Single loading is not an issue for me on my 2 FV12's, with a bit of practice it will become second nature. I have DNZ 1 pc scope mounts on both of mine.

chop house
09-13-2017, 07:50 AM
IF you use two piece mounts, AND are not using a scope with side focus, you can rotate the scope 90 degrees ccw to give great access to load and eject single shot style. Just remember up is right and left is up.

CenturyLimited
09-13-2017, 10:27 PM
Bittersweet day today. I picked my 12FV up today. I noticed the finish is not the best before taking possession, but figured an economically priced rifle and oh well. The front half inch or so of the receiver looks gray instead of blued. The front of the stock nearly touches the barrel on the left side. Cosmetic for the most part.

I proceeded to install my EGW rail that I figured I would use in the interim with my Nikon P223 scope at least until I save up for a good scope that has a long enough tube to clear port. As usual, I ran q-tips through holes to clean before inserting screws. I quickly discovered frontmost hole filled with beads. Since it does not go through, rather a pain to clean out. I really wish I had a thread chaser for all but one hole as bolts seems to bind. Nonetheless, I got the rail mounted good enough to see if I could comfortably load with it on.

I proceeded to drop one of my dummy loads in and it appeared the magazine would rock side to side. I managed to get round in and when tried to cycle bolt, it hit the back of the magazine. I flipped gun over on stand and removed the two stock screws. When I lifter the stock off, the magazine box, L bracket, and spring/follower stayed on the action rather than coming with the stock. I tried to put the magazine parts back in stock but really sloppy. Maybe a few wraps of electrical tape around the bracket and box will solve the issue, and I am simply complaining about what could be a 5 minute fix. A bummer nonetheless. Maybe a sign to fill in hole and use a single shot sled.

I wanted to figure this out before filling out rebate, not the it matters as cannot return firearms anyway. I hope I do not have issues with that as when picking up the receipt that printed at Cabelas desk shows I paid one cent. I was told to use order confirmation from day placed order. That was the whole reason I drove there at 9am the day they first went on sale only to have the guy in front of me buy the only one in stock. I have not had luck with vistaoutdoor rebates.

I decided to wait until daylight to do any more with rifle. Anxious to shoot it. I am expecting these issues will soon be forgotten.

Thanks for hints on scope mounting. I may very well go with a DNZ 1 piece mount as I have them on a couple lever actions (eyesight not what it used to be-never thought I'd scope a lever gun) and like them. If I get my magazine in solid, I may be able to load with no issues even with scope in normal position.

Happy and safe shooting.

celltech
09-13-2017, 11:06 PM
Yes, the whole blind magazine thing seems a bit cheap and chintzy to me. I think you normally want it to stay in the stock as it should be kinda locked in there by the L bracket. In one of my replacement stocks it seemed to have a lot of room to move around and I want to epoxy it in place but the height is variable and needs to be right for the round to feed. In another one I have with a Boyd's stock it fits like a glove and seems perfect as is. Your mileage may vary... I also had to chase the threads on one of the scope mount holes as the screw was just not quite going in. But hey, for $200 after all the sales and rebates it's still a cheap toy to play with.

Spoklahoma
09-13-2017, 11:42 PM
I've been very happy with my 12FV in 223. I changed the stock after the first range trip to a B&C Medalist. I was pretty new to bolt guns when I got it last year. It has helped me improve my technique greatly. I too don't like the internal magazine. It binds the bolt a bit and doesn't load well. Don't sweat the small stuff and just get out to the range.

MS50
09-14-2017, 07:04 AM
These are my observations, not complaints. The lips on the blind magazines on the Savages I have purchased come out of the box rough, sharp, and possibly bent. On two rifles I was unable to cycle the bolt because the lips prevented it. Needle nose pliers, rotary tools and files fixed the problems. Top loading the magazine is still possible if desired. I shoot steel so I single load most of the time, without issue. On my 6br, I removed the ejector. The fired case is dropped on top of the internal magazine, no problems. Loading without looking into the receiver is also not a problem. I agree we shouldn't have to work on a new rifle to be able to use it. For the price and a little work, they're a great deal.

RC20
09-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Nothing Chincy about a blind magazine. It is a money saving deal at no loss that allows us to get these guns this low.

You can hinge it and its still a pain. Clips get lost and or drop out when triggered.

As usual, I ran q-tips through holes to clean before inserting screws. I quickly discovered frontmost hole filled with beads. Since it does not go through, rather a pain to clean out. I really wish I had a thread chaser for all but one hole as bolts seems to bind

All highly annoying. Gun can go back to Savage, get the thread chaser.

Its the one thing I fail to do too often on a barrel swap and wind up with stuff up in there.

Its such a shallow hole that you might have to pull the barrel anyway. You can blast stuff out better with air (bigger things, rubber nozzle ) and then clean.

CenturyLimited
09-14-2017, 07:42 PM
I wrapped a couple full wraps of electrical tape around magazine and L bracket and put it in stock. The added tape seemed to make the box fit snugly and appears that it would work if tape doesn't collapse and get sloppy. I may not figure out if it will work as I no more than loaded a few times and cycled rounds out successfully and my doorbell rang. It was Amazon dropping off the CentAr single feed follower that I discovered while browsing. I did not mention this yesterday as it had zero feedback and no instructions to be found prior to purchase. I figured I'd try it first. It looks like it will work. Installation was simple. Disassembly involves simply holding rifle upside down, removing the two stock to receiver screws, and popping the magazine box out of stock. One then just sets the single shot adapter on bottom side of the receiver (top since assembly upside down), then the trickiest part if can even call it that is holding the magazine spring/follower assembly in place and setting the stock back down and attaching to receiver. Simply put, one simply removes the metal outer box from stock and the single shot adapter simply sits on top of spring/follower. I thought about putting something around spring to fill in the side to side void, but figured I'd follow directions included with adapter. I will see if all stays in place during use. Unfortunately not sure when I will make it to the range.

I had better get back to my job at hand before sun goes down. I hope to get back online later.

RC20
09-14-2017, 11:46 PM
PM sent, I have a low cost solution

holescreek
09-15-2017, 10:33 AM
I bought one early last year too. I could tell it was going to be a good shooter the first time out. The .223 loves 69gr SMK's. I eventually made a new stock for it and added an 8-32x56 Sightron fine crosshair scope.

CenturyLimited
09-16-2017, 09:49 AM
I have just a couple minutes then need to leave for the day to visit my daughter in college. I see that RC20 has sent me a PM and I apologize that I won't be able to respond for a bit as really need to get going now. I just figured I would quickly share the fact that I made it to the indoor range yesterday to test out the Kel Tec Sub 2000 that I intend on giving my wife for Christmas (I looked for a year to get one in multi-mag configuration that I can buy mag catch and use my S&W 59 mags that I already have for my Marlin camp 9). Obviously, I took my Savage there as well to test function and sight in scope at least for windage as range only 25 yards. A few clicks of the elevation dial when I get outdoors and should be good to go. I am happy to report that the CentAr single shot adapter worked like a charm for me. I did not evaluate it on whether the bullet touches anything on the way into chamber, but can say had no binding or jams. I just tossed round in and closed bolt as if nothing there. I only fired about 50 rounds, but cannot wait to take it out and shoot at a longer range. High temps finally supposed to be below 100 degrees here so should be bearable.

Happy shooting.

KYhunter
09-23-2017, 05:14 PM
My $0.02 is
I have 2 Savage model 12 FV rifles. One in 223 and one in 6.5 CM. One has a 2 piece base one the other has a one piece. I shoot targets mostly and is is a bit easier to load the chamber one at a time in the rifle with the 2 piece mount. Either will be fine just the 2 piece is slightly easier to get my fingers where I want the to load or grab the extracted round. I like one piece mounts with the idea it's one piece for some reason but either will be fine. Just get high quality parts. They don't have to be expensive just well made and robust.

I bought another Savage Stevens and bought it also in 223 for the same reason you questioned. I do now wish in some ways I would have gotten it in 22-250 because I don't have one. Shooting 200 yds the 223 will be a great choice. You will be very pleased with your rifle.
KYhunter

penna shooter
09-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Big fan of that 12, but in a BVSS......Not sure what caliber....Still researching.

jpx2rk
09-27-2017, 09:07 AM
TO OP:
can you provide a link to the amazon item you have for your FV12.