PDA

View Full Version : 223 or 243 for LR Varmint - VLP Owners needed!!!

dangaff
09-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Hi guys,

Basically, i have already bought a Manners stock to fit a Savage VLP, i was originally set on the 204 ruger idea, but recently i thought, i really want to get good at this long range varmint work(You guys helped alot with decision).

Where i hunt, can get pretty damn windy at times, so i thought the 204 little pills would quite cut it, in the wind.

Next i thought, alright, 223, 1 in 7" twist, nice long heavy pills, upon reading on the internet, one guy with the VLP had a problem, he SINGLE loaded his pill and closed the bolt, it would take some manipulating to close it due to the bullet not sliding up into the barrel, problem with the bullet ramp.
Was this just bad luck or would it happen even with single loading? - I realise the long pills wont fit in the magazine(I'm guessing, but I'd be 99% sure of that).
Single loading won't worry me for paper and long range varmint, i will just pick a different bullet with shorter length for rapid spotlighting etc.

Now, i have also come across the 243, It has a 9.25" twist:
What bullet weight would this support up to?
Would i have the same problems as i would with the 223?
Would this be a better cartridge to use over the 204 and 223?

Recoil shouldn't be a issue, heavy varmint rifle, heavy NF scope..If i really have to, i could muzzle break it, as i always use ear protection when varmint/paper work.
The 243 could be a nice all rounder for here in Australia:
Rabbit
Fox
Cat
Goat
Pig
Small Species of deer

Fire away with the questions and suggestions

Thanks alot fella's

Dan..

Joe O
09-09-2010, 04:08 AM
WHEN YOU INCLUDE GOAT,PIG,AND DEER,THE 243 WOULD BE YOUR BEST CHOICE.THE 9.25 TWIST SHOULD HANDLE THE SIE 95GR MATCH KING,AND A FEW OTHER BULLETS IN THE 100 GRAIN RANGE,(EXPERIMENT).

Nefarioud
09-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Next i thought, alright, 223, 1 in 7" twist, nice long heavy pills, upon reading on the internet, one guy with the VLP had a problem, he SINGLE loaded his pill and closed the bolt, it would take some manipulating to close it due to the bullet not sliding up into the barrel, problem with the bullet ramp.
Was this just bad luck or would it happen even with single loading? -

Dan..

I Had a VLP in .223 shooting 80's. When I single loaded I had to make sure the end of the bullet was in the chamber and the bolt closed easily.

The Idea of the .243 seems like a better deal for what you want to do. There are a great number of 6mm bullets with high BC's and as was pointed out a 9.25 should get you into the 100 gr range. The only drawback (if you could even call it that) is that barrel life is likely to be a little shorter on the .243, turn out savage barrels are easy to change :)

Netz
09-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Buy the .243, then pick up a .223 barrel and bolt head.
Then you could use which ever fits the occasion, and reload your .223 with long bullets.
95gr Burgers are 1000yd bullets, as mentioned anything in the 100gr or less should work fine in a 9.25 twist.
Curt

358Hammer
09-11-2010, 01:36 AM
I really haven't much to say about the 223 though it is quite popular. The 243 and especially the AI version will literally smoke the 55 grain Noslers and the 60 grain Sierra's. I have lit up an aweful lot of rockchucks in the 5-600yard range with those bullets.

A lot of deer and a number of elk have fallen to this cartridge as well. It is way more versatile than the 223!

Neal

Blue Avenger
09-11-2010, 12:00 PM
a single shot follower would solve the feed problem. it would allow the cartridge to lie in the center of the chamber, not off to the side.

PS .243 ;)

dangaff
09-12-2010, 02:34 AM
Alright thanks guys

To turn a 243 into a 243AI, would i need to get it reamed?
Otherwise it wouldn't fireform, correct?