PDA

View Full Version : SAVAGE 10 PREDATOR HUNTER 223 REALTREE MAX 1 in 223 REM in my future?

Ardsley
09-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Hello! I'm new to all this, and, in fact, have never owned a centerfire rifle. I did, of course, "borrow" an M-14 from the US Army for a tad, but that was ages ago. Anyway, as I approach my retirement, I'm seriously considering the purchase of a centerfire rifle to play with at the range, and to go varmint hunting with my grandson. To that end, I need some advice.

I'm looking at the 204 Ruger and the 223 Remington calibers. I've chosen those because they have a lighter recoil, and, most important, I have found them in left-handed rifles. I guess I should have mentioned that! I've always had a right-handed bolt (the latest being a Ruger K77/22 VBZ), but I feel I deserve a southpaw rifle.

So here's what I found: RUGER M77 HAWKEYE in 204 RUGER, and a SAVAGE 10 PREDATOR HUNTER 223 REALTREE MAX 1 in 223 REMINGTON. I've had a lot of very good experiences with Rugers (I still own 5 at this writing), and have no experience with Savage (though I've heard good things about them, and Savage is very lefty-friendly). I will use it mostly for targets and I haven't tried reloading. The Ruger is $500, and the Savage is $550 after a rebate. I keep looking at that Savage....

What are your thoughts? Also, what glass would you add to this? Thanks!

RustyShackle
09-10-2017, 10:24 PM
First, welcome to the forum.

Second,
My choice would be a 223 of some flavor. Are you set on getting the realtrea max 1? IMHO there are other Savage rifles that would be easier on the wallet and should be every bit as accurate, and might be better suited for your purposes.

Heavy barrel rifles, while heavy, make varmint plinking and bench work paper punching a pleasure. Not ideal for strolling around with so much though.

Glass. What are your thought for scope magnification? FFP or SFP? Target/Tactical turrets or standard? Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell Elite, Burris to just mention a few all make a quality product. There are really a plethora of options. Maybe a more relavent question would be budget constraints.

Ardsley
09-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the input. I like the 223 also because, well, I'm cheap. Today the price of the Hunter Predator (left handed) was lowered to $500 after the $100 rebate. I could get a model 14 American Classic in 204 RUGER for $100 less, and I'm looking at that also. I have never been a fan of synthetic stocks, but this one kind of intrigues me. Maybe it's the fluted heavy barrel. Maybe I need BOTH!

As for the scope, I kind of like the Redfield Revolution 3-9x40. Kind of vanilla, but good optics and American made. I plan on doing 90% or more of my shooting at a range. I probably need to research bi-pods and benchrests, but for now I want a really nice rifle or two (if you know what I mean). Any suggestions?

RustyShackle
09-15-2017, 12:25 AM
As I'm sure you've noticed the 12FV at cabelas can be gotten for an excellent price. Can't go wrong.

And your originally purchase idea is probably fine, especially since the price dropped $100

I have heard good things about the Redfield line of scopes. Essentially a leupold now, although if you're thrifty and shop around a leupold can be had for the same money. Really identical optics since leupold bought redfield. A 3-9 variable will certainly get you in the game and could be used to shoot out to distances that most don't even shoot. I would recommend good quality rings and bases to go with the scope.

I prefee to shoot off bags bs bipod but each has their preferred method.

Personally im not a fan of the 204 Ruger but don't let that deter you if it fits your needs.

Cheers!

Old Swede
09-15-2017, 10:59 AM
The .223 will make a nice Yote and P-dog rifle and works well on rabbits if head shots are taken.

If you are target shooting at 100 yards I find it very hard to see the bullet holes with a 3x9 scope (the shoot n see targets will help).
I recommend a 4x12 other wise you will need a spotting scope to see your groups.
If you are hunting a 3x9 will work well on the low power end it will make eye relief less an issue at closer ranges.
I took a nice buck a few years ago at 311 yards with my 4x12x40mm set on 6 power.
Good luck and happy shooting

SageRat Shooter
09-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Go with the 223... The 204 will be a barrel burner and you'll have to get a new barrel after 1500 rounds roughly... I will also recommend at least a 4-12 power scope and more likely a 6-18... I have the Redfield Battlezone
6-18x44 on my 22-250 and I've busted sage rats out to 548 yards... I'm also a VERY LEFTY shooter (nerve damage in right hand) and am a Savage guy because of that... I've always been happy with my Savage rifles.

One advantage the Savage has over the Ruger are the aftermarket premium drop in barrels available. Makes rebarreling something you can do yourself.

I really like the Savage 12FV in 223 (already has a varmint/heavy barrel) but is not available for us lefty shooters (at least it wasn't when I was shopping for my action) The other one I recommend is the 11/111 trophy hunter package... you can sell the Nikon or Bushnell that comes on it (I got $90 for mine including the cheapo rings) and put that money toward a better optic.

miscverb
09-16-2017, 10:52 AM
First, welcome to the forum.

Second,
My choice would be a 223 of some flavor. Are you set on getting the realtrea max 1? IMHO there are other Savage rifles that would be easier on the wallet and should be every bit as accurate, and might be better suited for your purposes.

Heavy barrel rifles, while heavy, make varmint plinking and bench work paper punching a pleasure. Not ideal for strolling around with so much though.

Glass. What are your thought for scope magnification? FFP or SFP? Target/Tactical turrets or standard? Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell Elite, Burris to just mention a few all make a quality product. There are really a plethora of options. Maybe a more relavent question would be budget constraints.

That 223 Savage Predator is a beast. It is one of my most accurate shooters using Hornady 68 grain bullets. It will shoot cloverleafs all day. For scope FFP with the best class you can afford.

Ardsley
09-17-2017, 11:50 AM
That 223 Savage Predator is a beast. It is one of my most accurate shooters using Hornady 68 grain bullets. It will shoot cloverleafs all day. For scope FFP with the best class you can afford.
Thanks for the info! They dropped the price down to $500 after rebate and are throwing in a Weaver 3-9x40 scope. That will quickly go on an old Ruger 10/22. I'm not sure how you can tell if a scope is FFP or SFP. I am ashamed to admit that I had to look it up! Anyway, what scope do you recommend as I'm about to pull the trigger...

Ardsley
09-17-2017, 12:47 PM
As I'm sure you've noticed the 12FV at cabelas can be gotten for an excellent price. Can't go wrong.

And your originally purchase idea is probably fine, especially since the price dropped $100

I have heard good things about the Redfield line of scopes. Essentially a leupold now, although if you're thrifty and shop around a leupold can be had for the same money. Really identical optics since leupold bought redfield. A 3-9 variable will certainly get you in the game and could be used to shoot out to distances that most don't even shoot. I would recommend good quality rings and bases to go with the scope.

I prefee to shoot off bags bs bipod but each has their preferred method.

Personally im not a fan of the 204 Ruger but don't let that deter you if it fits your needs.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. The price dropped again, so I think it will be a lot easier to pull the trigger, so to speak. I'm not locked into the camo, just the heavy barrel and the caliber. I've found a couple of Ruger Americans for less, but Savage is so lefty-friendly. As for a budget, I would like to keep the scope budget around $250 (thanks to the last $50 price drop!). Of course that's really just a ballpark figure. If I can get a better scope for a few bucks more, I'll do it. After all, it's my retirement gift to myself! Any suggestions?

RustyShackle
09-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info. The price dropped again, so I think it will be a lot easier to pull the trigger, so to speak. I'm not locked into the camo, just the heavy barrel and the caliber. I've found a couple of Ruger Americans for less, but Savage is so lefty-friendly. As for a budget, I would like to keep the scope budget around $250 (thanks to the last $50 price drop!). Of course that's really just a ballpark figure. If I can get a better scope for a few bucks more, I'll do it. After all, it's my retirement gift to myself! Any suggestions?

Leupold VX2 (US made)
Redfield revolution (US made)
Zeiss Terra (imported)
Burris Fullfield II (imported)
Vortex viper (imported)

3-9 or 4-12 range should work well. I think the Burris is a 4.5-14 though. Shop around and look for a deal. You might also see if you qualify for discounts if you served in the armed forces or LE.

Vortex viper 2.5-10 with vplex reticle on sale for $299.00 at cabelas. 30mm tube.

Burris MTAC 4.5-14 @ $299.00