PDA

View Full Version : Barrel swap without go, no-go gauges?

Pages : [1] 2

65Whelen
09-10-2017, 12:23 PM
I want install a 22-250 barrel. I don't have go no-go gauges. Can you set the head space properly with 22-250 brass?

Hotolds442
09-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Properly? No. Close? Yes.

RP12
09-10-2017, 01:51 PM
NO. Anyone that says yes would be wrong.

wbm
09-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Yes.

RustyShackle
09-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Brass is "spongy" and you're likely to not get great results.

I have heard if guys filling a piece of brass with jb weld or similar and using that. Don't know that I would recommend it.

rbp75503
09-10-2017, 02:50 PM
If you do use brass to set your headspace just let the folks next to you at the range know that you may not have your gun within SAAMI specs and your rifle may grenade.:ban:

You can rent headspace gauges for a reasonable amount.

joeb33050
09-10-2017, 03:19 PM
I've changed barrels over 100 times, always used fired fl sized brass to set headspace, no blow ups yet.
joe b.

RP12
09-10-2017, 03:44 PM
His question was, could you set headspace "properly" with brass, not whether or not it could be done. Big difference. I'm just surprised so many backyard gunsmiths would risk it, let alone promote such irresponsible practices.

65Whelen
09-10-2017, 03:53 PM
Anybody willing to rent me some 22-250 gauges?

rbp75503
09-10-2017, 04:01 PM
https://www.reamerrentals.com/searchresults.asp?cat=26

https://4drentals.com/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/129337820519515981/

RC20
09-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Yes you can. It can be a bit of trail and error if you are tyring to match another chambver like I was, but got close and then fine tuned it.

If you do use brass to set your headspace just let the folks next to you at the range know that you may not have your gun within SAAMI specs and your rifle may grenade.:ban:

You can rent headspace gauges for a reasonable amount

Pray tell what blows up?

If its too long you will get one of two results.

1. Its too far out and the thing won't fire because the shoulder does not stop and the firing pin pushes the case as it hits the prime

2. Its on the far side of field reject like many mil surplus and you fire form the case to the chamber. That won't blow up either.
You are better off doing a minimum bump back and let the case live as long as it normally would.

3. Too tight and the bolt wont close. Also won't blow up.

Try a British 303, head space and chamber are out of sight, you may get 3 reloads before the brass cracks, but it won't blow up.

RP12
09-10-2017, 05:04 PM
I can't believe how much misinformation and dangerous suggestions about headspace are on here.

RustyShackle
09-10-2017, 05:21 PM
I can't believe how much misinformation and dangerous suggestions about headspace are on here.

This ^

Bigbuckdn
09-10-2017, 06:40 PM
I always use a a piece of brass for a go but I always use a no go
It's simple if a no go does not go you can't be to far out and if you are to tight bolt won't close

rbp75503
09-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Pray tell what blows up?

Read this and you may re-think your position.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/GunTech/Headspace-Why-It-s-Important-How-To-Check-It/detail.htm?lid=17125

olddav
09-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Some things just require the correct tools. You can get by without them on some level or another but to perform the task correctly you will need the proper tools. The gauges are not cost prohibitive, and are a far cry from the expense of a doctor visit or replacing damage parts (bolt head, extractor, action etc...). A case head separation can case all kinds of damage to the rifle, you and/or others.

I try to think of the poor soul who may end up with a rifle of mine in the coming years and I don't want to lay a trap for someone.
Good Luck!

RC20
09-11-2017, 02:56 PM
The questions was do have to have the gauge(s) , I prefer them but I can also wing it as I did recently (after I had explored it with the right gauges)

The reality is a case separation is not going to occur on a first firing.

If you do max resize, it will occur on the 5th to 8th firing.

RC20
09-11-2017, 02:58 PM

It helps iuf you list exactly what you mean and or bring in references per the one post.

RC20
09-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Read this and you may re-think your position.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/GunTech/....htm?lid=17125 (http://www.sinclairintl.com/GunTech/Headspace-Why-It-s-Important-How-To-Check-It/detail.htm?lid=17125)

It more or less confirms my position.

When you holler Wolf, and there is no wolf, then you loose credibility.

So, first mistake in their write-up is the neck cracking. That's an anneal issue (the neck got hardened and split, annealing will solve that) - head space has nothing to do with it.

Next, base cracks. That is only loosely associated withy head spacing. If you never shoot that piece of brass again, its zero.

Its only if you reload does it begin to factor in.

And then its still going to happen if you do not do minimum bump back.

Most people do not work with Mil Surplus guns, that's my background and it teaches you a lot.

Said guns are not intended to use reloaded ammunition. They are intended to have larger chambers (and head space) so that in combat you don't foul out of the fight with a crudded up chamber.

That's where I learned about base cracking, full re-size on a gun that is at field reject from the factory (or armory) and its going to go pretty fast.

Rather than say its going to kill you run and hide, it would be better to explain it correctly and the avoidance for that.

Head space gauges are not going to do squat in that regard. A shoulder measurement on your fired case and setting up to bump back .002 will on the other hand.

No firing not firing the round is not a disastrous thing, though I have done it and its annoying (I had 3 other guns so did not stop my fun that day)

Sinclair sells head space gauges and I am glad they do, but they over do it in their zeal IMNSHO

Hotolds442
09-11-2017, 07:23 PM
The questions was do have to have the gauge(s)

Wrong again. The question was " Can you set the head space properly with 22-250 brass?"

The answer is still no, no matter what theory you can conjure up. Sizing dies are not made with the same reamer a chamber is reamed with. Tolerance stacking becomes an issue.

If if you know the datum diameter and can measure from the datum to the cartridge base correctly, and can find a piece of brass that fits that measurement, you can set your headspace fairly close if you can guarantee that screwing the barrel down doesn't change the brass measurement. Even then, its still not being set "properly".

This thread has about run it's course.