PDA

View Full Version : Matte blue finish options

Polishcannon21
09-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone, new here!
I have a model 10 that came from the factory with a polished blue receiver, bolt handle etc...and I would like a matte finish as I am converting it to more of a "tactical" style. Any suggestions? Also, I am on the fence as to do it myself (I think it would be fun) or have a gunsmith do it. This is probably a one time thing, so investing in equipment might cost the same as having someone else do it.

Thanks in advance!

celltech
09-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Just how "pretty" do you want it to be? If you value function over looks rough it up and hit it with some cold epoxy paint or cerakote.

Polishcannon21
09-10-2017, 11:05 AM
I was hoping for it to match the matte color and finish of a scope. Function will remain the same no matter what it looks like you are correct, but, I figure this will be a one time thing and I want something I can look at and have it last too! Lol!

Polishcannon21
09-10-2017, 10:13 PM
No good suggestions except to scuff it up?

celltech
09-10-2017, 10:58 PM
Looking around the web it's $200 and up to matte finish a rifle. If you have the $$$ then it's no problem. I think your budget answers the question here...

RustyShackle
09-10-2017, 11:04 PM
Might be farther ahead to run to cabelas and buy a 12FV while they are having the great sale. Then sell the polished action here in the classifieds section. I think they are somewhat desireable since discontinued

adam38654
09-11-2017, 09:49 AM
You can get a gun parkerised for a little cheaper. It is a rough matte finish. It also allot easier to do at home than bluing if your up for it. But you have to bead blast the entire gun and have a large enough stainless steel tank to dip the gun into the boiling solution. Then there is alwas gunkote or cerakote if you want a spray on finish. But you have to bake the finish for a couple hours at 400 degrees. If you don't mind something a little less durable you can use a no-bake finish like Duracoat. Brownells even sells something like that in a spray paint can.

I would also look into buying another gun like I wanted vs putting the money into another one. The 12FV for sale at cabelas would be under $300 shipped and all. The latest ones I have seen where matte but you may get an old stock one that were high polish blued also.

jpdown
09-11-2017, 11:37 AM
I have done several rifles and shotguns myself. you will need to break the rifle down to parts and sand blast with 80-grit aluminum oxide to get a matte finish and then apply some type of coating to prevent rust. I never had much luck with DIY cold blue with respect to getting a consistent, durable finish. Air brushing on Gun-Kote or cerakote will give you an even, durable and weatherproof finish. After cleaning and sand-blasting, I usually pre-treat the metal with K-Phos to stop rust process and then air-brush with Gun-Kote, a bake on finish. A Harbor Freight hobby sand-blast kit and air brush are cheap. You can find 25 lb pails of aluminum oxide on Ebay. You can purchase the K-Phos and Gun-Kote direct from K-Systems, Midway USA, or in a rattle cans from Brownell. I use a cardboard box to make a sand-blast cabinet. The critical and most important tool is access to a good air compressor. Sand-blasting takes a large volume of air.

But for only one rifle, I agree with RustyShakle, it would be less hassle, cheaper and faster to pick up a Cabela's 12FV, part out your current rifle and sell online.

Jformeck
09-23-2017, 07:07 PM
I have one of my savages cerakoted in graphite black to match the factory finish and it's awesome. Actually made the bolt a lot smoother too. My gunsmith does barreled actions for $120, highly recommend! Plus you don't ever have to oil it before putting it in the safe