PDA

View Full Version : Savage Barrel Install Questions

Phil3
09-09-2017, 09:36 PM
I have a new custom barrel for a Precision Target Action, but am puzzled on barrel vises. My barrel is a bull barrel with a straight taper. Barrel vises I have seen (i.e., Viper), seem to have the same radius in the two gripping halves, so how is that going to work on a TAPERED barrel? Maybe it can't, and I need to hold the action in some fixture vs holding the barrel?

Secondly, my custom ground recoil lug has no locating pin. How am I correctly locate and hold the lug without a locating pin? Apparently, some guns do not have a locating pin or recess for it, so short of buying a tool of some sort to hold the recoil lug in place while tightening the barrel, how can a "no-pin) recoil lug be located time after time (if changing barrels)?

Thank you.

Phil

Bigbuckdn
09-09-2017, 09:48 PM
First guestion the vise will work but it's tough and you could scratch the barrel. for installing I use an action wrench instead I only use my vise to take off factory barrel

second question I cannot answer

strut64
09-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Suggest you look at the Northland Shooters supply website. They can supply what you need

rbp75503
09-10-2017, 08:50 AM
The Viper vise has four nuts and will cant to match your barrel taper as you tighten the vise. Use a toilet roll tube or as I use index cards to wrap around the barrel to protect barrel from scratches.

Without an index pin on your lug you can have a gunsmith pin your lug to the action or return your lug to the supplier for a proper lug.

Northland Shooters Supply has the proper lugs and action wrench. You might ask Jim if the "Taper Loc System for the Rem700" would work on your in non-pinned lug.
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/tools/

I use both an action wrench and a vise when removing or installing a barrel. I started off only using an action wrench and putting the wrench in a bench vise, but having the weight of the barrel floating in the air just made me feel uncomfortable. So I started using the vise and the action wrench together.
https://i.imgur.com/1txCvEj.jpg

psharon97
09-10-2017, 10:02 AM
I use a an action wrench when installing and removing barrels. Helps prevent me from scratching up my barrels

RC20
09-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Heck last time I used the NSS nut wrench and a pipe wrench.

Laid it on the table, popped the nut loose, moved the barrel out a shade and back (fine tuning to match another gun chamber)