PDA

View Full Version : Axis 270 help

99savage
09-08-2017, 07:06 PM
Hi all, I have this 270 axis that I picked up and am looking for a little bit of help with it. When I received it it had a lot of surface rust on the barreled action and bolt, and the bolt would not stay in the gun when pulled to the rear. I refinished the metal, disassembled the bolt, then cleaned and reassembled it. Cosmetically now it looks pretty decent, but the problem I still have with it with the bolt stop/bolt release.

There is supposed to be a stud on the alloy trigger mechanism with a spring attached to it which goes to the bolt stop and puts pressure on it to make it return after each shot. On my gun, this stud Is broken off and the spring is missing, so the bolt stop and sear do not reset after each shot. My question is, is it possible for me to order from anywhere a new alloy trigger housing for the axis that I can put my trigger and sear into? I checked several gun parts places and did not see it listed. Could I maybe call savage and have them send me one or have them repair it? If not, can I purchase a timney or similar trigger to put in it? I checked for that too but I only saw them from 110s,112s, etc. maybe I didn't look hard enough but I couldn't find one for the axis.

I really appriciate any help or advice that you you guys are able to give me. Here are a few pictures of the rifle to show the part that I need replaced. Thanks in advance!

99savage
09-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Sorry, cant figure out how to post pictures directly onto forum. If you click this link it should bring the pics up. http://imgur.com/a/hvrkC Thanks again

Mb1500
09-09-2017, 12:57 AM
I would definitely call Savage first, to see what they can do for you.

DrThunder88
09-09-2017, 03:27 AM
Wow, I half expected a sad Sarah McLachlan song to be playing as I looked at those first pictures!

Since Savage's part finder on their website is about as useful and functional as a wire basket full of farts, youe best bet is calling Savage customer service. Maybe they'll sell you a replacement trigger bracket and spring, but they always told me they only sold certain components to licensed gunsmiths.

It's also not out of the realm of possibility to try to fix it yourself. I'd cut a notch in the bottom of what remains of the hook on the bracket with a safe edge, triangular jewelers file. Then I'd look for an appropiately sized spring at the local hardware store or in an old click pen.

RustyShackle
09-09-2017, 11:55 AM
As a paid member you can browse the classifieds, every now and again trigger assemblies come up for sale. There is also a Want to Buy section. Might be worth a post

99savage
09-09-2017, 03:41 PM
I will give savage a call on Monday and see if the will sell me a new aluminum trigger frame. If not, I will try what drthunder said and use a needle file to try to reshape the broken hook. Another thought that I had was to try to use JB weld to build up enough metal then try to shape that into a hook. I've used JB weld for a lot of different jobs in the past so I know that it would be strong enough to support the spring, I just don't know how well it would bond to the aluminum. Thank you very much for the replies guys, I really appriciate it. Hopefully savage will help me out and send me a new trigger frame, if not I will try to try to fix it myself. Will keep you posted on what happens

DrThunder88
09-09-2017, 08:15 PM
I use JB Weld on a lot of things, but I'd hesitate to use it for this without some sort of reinforcement. Maybe drill a small hole in the stub, insert a short nub of wire, and epoxy the wire in place.