PDA

View Full Version : new to Savage, need help with models and suggestions

waumpuscat
09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I have looked on the web until I have exhausted myself. I have decided to join the ranks of Savage shooters and replace my Browning Stainless Stalker with a Savage. Problem is I cannot for the life of me figure out which model is which. All I am certain about is that I want the best out of the box accuracy and versatile rifle that I can afford. That is how I found yall. So I am trying to get my rifle in 300 win mag and I would prefer stainless and synthetic stock. Since I do not know how to build one like a lot of you guys do, shouldn't I get the accu stock and and accu trigger. I hope I have explained what I am trying to acquire. I feel real confident I am in the right place, I just do not know what would be best as far as which model. Please help. ???

texwelder
09-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Since a .300WM is a long action caliber you will be looking at models with three digits....110, 111, 112, 114, 116. Try the Savage website and look for these models and the different stocks, barrel weights, blind magazine, detach magazine, etc.

See if this answers some of your questions.

texwelder

colasweet
09-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Sounds like you want either the 116 FCSS or 116 FHSS- same gun but box mag vs floor plate, or maybe the 116 FHSAK which is the floor plate but with a muzzlebreak. All 3 have the accutrigger and accustock.

waumpuscat
09-08-2010, 07:50 AM
This is excellent! I have struggled to find even on the website what the difference was in the models. Generally speaking, what is preferred on the magazine choice, box or floor plate?

waumpuscat
09-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Also, why not just get the Long Range Hunter(whatever those model numbers are)and be done with it? What are the downsides to choosing the Long Range Hunter over the 116?

Blue Avenger
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
116 = stainless long action 16 is a short stainless

Welcome to Savage's version of Alphabet Soup.

NOTE: In their infinite wisdom, Savage hasn't always been consistent with what letters mean what. For example, the new Model 10 BAS doesn't have a laminate stock, yet it has a "B".

B - laminate stock
BT- laminated thumbhole stock
C - clip feed
F - synthetic stock
G - hardwood stock
H - hinged floor plate
H- (old) high polish
P - police
p - premier (old)
P - package (old)
V - long range (heavy barrel)
SS- stainless steel
Y - youth
T - rimfire ( peep sight)
S - open sight
NS- no sight
XP package (factory scoped)
ML- muzzle loader
L - left hand (right mind)
PE- presentation grade (1966-1969)
DE- citation grade
M - magnum
DL- deluxe
AC- adjustable choke
SE- self ejectors
SE- safari express
T - trap gun
F - feather weight
E - economy
AK- adjustable brake
K - Kodiak shock suppressor ( brake) 1993, back in use on LE series
K - left hand barreled action
KA- left action only
R - right hand barreled action
RA - right action only
VLP- varmint low profile
U -ultra
CRF- controlled round feed
XP3- scope and sling package
LE- law enforcement, standerd stock
LE1A -choate stock
LE2B- mcmillen stock
M - sierra
W - walnut
WLE- walnut limited edition 1992 7x57mm, 1993 .300sav and .250sav added.
PLE- left hand presentation grade. (1966-1969)
CU- classic ultra
CE- classic European
R - repeater

waumpuscat
09-08-2010, 05:28 PM
BA,

Thank you for a virtual plethora of info on the abbreviations. This will help very much. What about the long range hunter? What are the opinions on that versus say the 116 if one is wanting out of the box accuracy and a versatile long range shooter? Thanks again, and oh yea, where do most folks buy there savage rifles?