PDA

View Full Version : Doing my first barrel removal today

clerkofkirk
09-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Well, I'm actually going to do it. I have a Viper barrel vise, NSS barrel nut wrench and NSS Action Wrench. I tried to find rosin locally but couldn't find any. Going to try the toilet paper roll trick.

Any suggestions on tightening down the screws on the barrel vise?

Should I use heat to break the sealant? I have a propane torch and a hair dryer.

I'll keep you posted.

Texas10
09-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Maybe I've been doing it all wrong, but I've never used a barrel vice in conjunction with an action vice and nut wrench. I put the action in the NSS action wrench mounted in a bench vice, crack the nut loose and spin the barrel off. Be careful removing the nut from the barrel though, it'll probably have a lot a blast media under the threads, and you'll want to go carefully and slowly using plenty of liquid wrench if you want to save either. Once you have the nut cracked loose, you might have to loosen the bolts in the action wrench a tad. When they are good and tight, they'll pinch the barrel making it difficult to remove from the action. I can imagine that this is sometimes mistaken as an indication that thread sealant was used at the factory while installing the barrel.

clerkofkirk
09-06-2017, 10:37 AM
OK, the nut broke loose pretty easily. I've been unscrewing it then rescrewing it in and cleaning off the sealant residue as I go. I'm about 9 or 10 threads out and meeting a lot of resistance. Heat maybe to loosen the sealant on the still unexposed threads?

rbp75503
09-06-2017, 10:45 AM
Its not sealant, its bead blast media from the factory. If you have some WD-40 or Kroil Oil you can spray that into the area uncovered. If you have that many threads exposed you can remove the action and then unscrew the barrel nut towards the breach. With all threads exposed you can then clean up the nut and the barrel threads.

clerkofkirk
09-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Ah, yes, bead blast material. OK, thanks. I going back down to go at it again.

clerkofkirk
09-06-2017, 11:27 AM
SUCCESS! Used the action wrench and the action spun off with little effort. Removed the barrel nut and cleaned up the threads. The barrel nut literally spins on now. Thank You rbp75503! That was good advice at just the right time. So glad I invested in good tools to do the job.

rbp75503
09-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Welcome to the Brotherhood. You're hooked now. :cool:

RC20
09-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Welcome to the out of control group.

I have 3 now, love em all. Chewing on a 6.5 on the latest Cabella offering. That would stay Savage barrel until I shot it out.

The NSS tools are great.

With a harder nut I put the handle on and run down through the vice and up against the bench below. Very solid.

It seems in in 3 to 5 nuts are real buggers.

Then a breaker bar on the NSS wrench works well (assuming you have adequate weight of which I am suffering an over abundance)

Nice thing on NSS is those 1/2 inch slots.

Be sure to clean the threads inside the receiver as well.

And a note of caution, sometimes good get up in the front scope mount screw hole.

Make sure that is clean before you finalizing things, even a bottom tap is iffy to clean out.

Aniti seize on threads smoother but also gets the goo up in there.

A lot of satisfaction in all of it.

rbp75503
09-06-2017, 12:57 PM
At this point, if a pawnshop find, is were I completely disassemble everything and throw into the ultra sound for a good cleaning. My personal preference is to use white moly on the new barrel threads.

Praeger
09-08-2017, 04:46 PM
At this point, if a pawnshop find, is were I completely disassemble everything and throw into the ultra sound for a good cleaning. My personal preference is to use white moly on the new barrel threads.
Echo the use of white moly on the threads.

Bigbuckdn
09-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Glad you got it all ok now go get a bigger wallet it's like chips you can't do just one

RC20
09-10-2017, 04:45 PM
That's the sad truth though I have managed to at least hold at 3 for now.