PDA

View Full Version : First New Savage Rifle, Accurizing 110 help

phipp
09-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Phipp, here, New guy to Savage rifles and I could use some help accurizing my rifle. It's a NIB Savage custom shop FCP-SR 110 in 6.5x284 Norma, H-S Precision stock 26" 1-8 twist .828 fluted barrel, Brake, Timney trigger 2 lbs, Talley precision med 30mm Rings mounted directly to the receiver, line lapped, leveled & torqued, Vortex Viper 6x24x50 HST. I reload using Dillon 550/ Redding competition dies, OAL Gauge. New Nosler Brass, Sierra 142 grain SMK's H-4350 CCI 200 lg rifle primers. I just bought .240 thick precision ground competition recoil lug, go no go gauges, barrel wrench, no nut yet brownells didn't have one for a 110 only a 116. Who sells the good barrel nuts? who makes a good bedding kit? I'm not new to shooting 35+ years at it but this is my first NO B.S. go at long range shooting. I think I've got a good start but the devil is in the details and nothing takes the place of experience which I lack with Savage Rifles and long range precision shooting. Thanks in Advance Phipp

RC20
09-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Welcome, don't take it wrong but it sure helps to break things up a bit so we can read them.

It seems to me you are jumping from the 150 meter platform rather than staring at the 25 and working up.

I don't find the gun model you list in that caliber?

It looks like whatever it is would be fully capable without mods.

Not sure where you are going. Why buy and change stuff until you shoot it?

110 nuts and 116 nuts are the same. Your nut is fine.

Long range shooting is more an accurate but not insanely accurate rifle and you being able to read the conditions.

phipp
09-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Sorry for the tight paragraph.

You won't find that gun listed on Savage's website It was built in the Savage Custom Shop to spec. you PM me your Phone number and i'll send you a picture of the barrel stamp "Model 110 6.5-284 Norma" I just like doing my wrenching in the gun Room and not on the range.

I have to travel 2+ hours to shoot Long range, When I get there if the shooting sucks and I can't blame the rifle... Process of elimination. :) When I rode Harleys All my wrenchin was done in the shop and not on the road.

Would it be a waste of time to bed it?

I think I have read too many horror stories and trying to eliminate all the possibilities for a bad range day. Phipp

RC20
09-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Thanks for clearing up the caliber, hard to assess when your mind is bent like a pretzels trying to make something fit.

On a side note I would write it up, custom Savage purchase comes up and its of interest, price and how it went.

I think you are going about this worn, just an opinion.

It looks like a very fine and capable gun as is, I would try it out before I did mods.

Doing mods you sometimes have things to correct

Huts and lugs may make a miner different once you get under 1/4 inch, but to that point I don't think so.

Initial shooting is just a crap shoot. All guns shoot differently even in the same identical model.

You won't see bedding work (unless its just god awful) until you get under 1/2 MOA.

Pretty much the same for the other stuff and maybe not then.

I would get some factory match ammo, they tend to have a sweet spot identified that most guns do pretty good with.

If so you can work to match that speed with the 4350.

Frankly I would start low, load up 15 of each load and move up in 1/2 grain increments up to mid high. If you hit a sweet spot, you can break down the others or shoot them and see how they do.

Finding where the lands are is more important than anything, then a load .-15 or so off that as a start.

Put a bullet in a case, make it long, put it in the gun, very carefully (gently) move the bolt toward closed.

Bullet ogive measurements are better but you can go with tip.

When it stops, pop it out with a plastic handle, seat another .010 deeper.

Repeat until the bolt close and not stick (you may get a close and stick, gently tap it back and another .01- to .020 deeper.

I know its a bummer being 2 hours away, but virtually nothing to be done that makes it a sure thing until you have shot it and done load tuning.

I have one gun with a NSS lug and nut it does not shoot any better than the two with Savage lugs and nuts (the nut sure is nice looking through)

I don't see bedding as something you need to do until you have shot it. If it is off then the gun is off as well. Bit tricky stuff.

One of mine is bede3d (not a good fit) and the other two are stock (Boyds and the fit was very good). All shoot under 1/2 MOA.

I take at least 3 different guns with me, if one is off for some reasons, be it loads or work I have done, then the other two are there to have a good time with (30 minut4es from the range)

Often I have 4 and a 22 that I use to work on trigger control with.

olddav
09-06-2017, 05:37 PM
This will help with the bedding questions as far as what and how.
As to whether it is worth doing, I think so. I don't think bedding will make it more accurate but it will make it more consistent.

olddav
09-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Perhaps a link would help
http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

RC20
09-06-2017, 05:57 PM
This will help with the bedding questions as far as what and how.
As to whether it is worth doing, I think so. I don't think bedding will make it more accurate but it will make it more consistent.

That one has me scratching my head! If its not consistent its not accurate.

Of course I shoot a 0 MOA on the first shot each and every time.

Its all those other shots that get away from me.

olddav
09-06-2017, 11:18 PM
Shooting a 2 MOA consistently is not accurate but it is consistent.

phipp
09-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the help and info, oldday that Richard Frankiln article is legit. From here i'll just clean it really good and shoot it. RC20 I have the ogive #'s for the SMK's already, I have a Hornady OAL gauge setup for 6.5-284. I'm just going to Buy a few boxes of ammo, Load some test ammo and make some noise. Thanks Phipp

RC20
09-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Good deal. sometimes we get in a spiral we overthink or over try to make it perfect and the only way to get going is to just go do it.

One good move is to get a good accurate 22. Savage, CZ etc, heavier barrel the better.

Theres been a few days I just went to shooting the 22 when nothing else was going well and had a fine time.

Norma TAC 22 has proven to be very good in my CZ despite the goofy name (got the CZ before I got into Savages)

big honkin jeep
09-07-2017, 08:26 PM
You're gonna find the accuracy you seek in the loads. Just make good notes and keep swapping around bullets powder primers seating depth till they all go in the same hole.
This can possibly help as well and it's free :) http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/