PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Savage model 11/111g questions

Brentski
09-05-2017, 12:43 AM
Hi everyone,
New member with new (to me) Savage. I've been trying in vain to hunt down any information I can about my recently acquired rifle. As best I can tell I have a 2000 savage model 11/111g long action chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. It is pre-Accutrigger and has a wooden stock. The previous owner told me it was accurate and reliable, and that he had a trigger job done on it bringing the pull down to under 3lbs. I trust that it is adequately accurate for hunting Feral Hogs and Whitetail here in Georgia. I have been looking around this forum but my search abilities have failed to find a lot of info about it. I'd love to hear anything I can about it.

Does anyone know how accurate this rifle is expected to be? While I bought it for hunting within 100yds I feel like if the rifle is capable I might like to use it for long range shooting.

Is there a source out there where I might be able to find any documentation specific to this rifle, like owners manual, parts diagrams etc.?

Thanks in advance, and ANY information on this rifle would be greatly appreciated.

Brentski

RC20
09-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Frankly there is no telling what you will get out of it.

7mm is known to have a life of 1500 rounds, so if it was shot a lot then it could be a less than capable rifle.

By 2000 I assume you mean the year it was made?

Parts are based on the SN and the manuals are generic.

Other than the move to a specific short action, they are all the same.

Brentski
09-05-2017, 04:59 PM
I see. And yes the serial puts it as manufactured in the year 2000. I did find a manual and your are right it was very generic. I appreciate your response.

1500 rounds, huh? No telling how many have been put through it. All I know is that the previous owner said he didn't use it too much.

I took it to the range today, and put twelve through it sighting it in at 100yds I was able to get a few tight groups (within an inch) before my shoulder got too sore, darn thing kicks like a mule!

I just ordered a limbsaver recoil pad for it. I'd say I think it would go through a few shoulders before it hit 1500 rounds with the pad it has on it now. Maybe it's got some good life in it yet.

Thanks for the info.

Brentski

Brentski
09-06-2017, 04:27 AM
here is another question for you: The wooden stock, any idea of the material? Maybe walnut?

strut64
09-06-2017, 08:00 AM
I have 2 savage 110 rifles one being a 7 mag made the year before yours 1999 and a 270 made In 2004. The wooden stocks on both were beech with a walnut colored finish. So unless your rifle was a special order of some sort yours will also be a beech wood stock. Beech wood is a very good stock material being very stable and strong. Very often it not considered desirable however due to a lot of misconcetions and history. So if you wish to change your stock try looking at Boyds Stocks. Keep in touch through this site to pick up pointers and tips. Your 110 savage in 7 mm Rem Mag should serve you well and be effective for all big game except the largest, most dangersous game. I have used both of my rifles as donors for building other calibers with aftermarket stocks , barrels, triggers ,etc

wbm
09-06-2017, 09:45 AM
I was able to get a few tight groups (within an inch)

Sounds like the barrel may still be ok. Take your time between shots and keep the barrel temperature down.

I picked up a used G model Savage in 7mm Magnum several years ago that was made at about the same time as yours. Found a Walnut stock at Numrich to replace the beech stock, just like walnut better, and added a Limbsaver pad. Rifle was very accurate with hand loads and also shot the Remington Core-Lokt 140gr PSP ammunition better than any other factory stuff. If you do not hand load, I would also recommend you try some Hornady or Remington reduced load ammunition. The Hornady Custom Lite 139gr shot best in mine.