PDA

View Full Version : New hunter

Brentski
09-04-2017, 11:55 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been shooting ever since I can remember, my dad had a good collection of guns growing up. Most of my adult years have been handgun shooting at the range. I've always loved being out doors whether it be camping, hiking, fishing, diving or more recently overlanding (car camping with an ORV). This year I finally decided to get hunting. I took my hunters ed and got licensed. My brother-in-law met a few people with private lands and/or leases here in Georgia and invited me to go hog hunting. I found a used 2001 era Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag for sale and snatched it up for $350. I put the best scope I could afford on it (a Leupold american marksman 3-9x40) and am itching to take it out.

I found that I could find precious little information on the web about the gun (previous owner said it was really accurate, and had a trigger job done on it bringing the pull down to just under 3lbs. I figured I'd join this forum as a matter of educating myself, at least until I might have info worth sharing.

Thanks in advance, and happy to be here.

Brentski

big honkin jeep
09-05-2017, 12:57 AM
Welcome neighbor.
I think you're gonna enjoy your rifle. Good choice on a Leupold. In my experiences a low end Leupold is often a better choice than a higher end lesser brand.
7 mag is quite a thumper for here in Ga. and will put a severe smackdown on anything you'll find here including those occasional pesky garden rhinoceros. :) Please blast every hog you see.
The 111s are great hunting rigs and can be stupid accurate with the right load.

ragsflh
09-05-2017, 03:23 AM
howdy,7mm put them down

mjcmichigan
09-05-2017, 06:00 AM
Brentski, welcome to hunting and the forum!

Hogs can be challenging!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drybean
09-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Welcome aboard

ttexastom
09-06-2017, 11:22 PM
Welcome from northeast georgia

Hotolds442
01-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Welcome!

penna shooter