efm77
09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Anyone know where these are made?

efm77
10-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Anybody?

sharpshooter
10-04-2009, 10:58 AM
The same place 90% of all scopes are made......China.

rjtfroggy
10-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Join opticstalk and ask your question. The guys over there are pretty knowledgeable and won't bs you.
the gentleman who runs it sells them and he will give you the right info on most anything he sells.

dolomite_supafly
10-04-2009, 10:04 PM
They do the same thing as most "quality" lower end scopes. They use quality components from other countries and cheap Chinese labor to assemble those parts. Labor is the single most expensive part manufacturing after the development. Saving money by using cheap labor to assemble quality parts makes for a better product than cheap components and quality labor.

Mueller is another good scope maker that does this. I have owned several of their scopes and have been very pleased with the quality versus cost. I have never owned a Vortex but I have heard nothing but great things about them for the price. When I am in the market again I will probably give Vortex a try based on others experiences.

Dolomite

GaCop
10-09-2009, 06:07 AM
I have three of the Vortex and love em. I also have a few of the Mueller's. I believe the clarity of the Vortex is a bit better than the Mueller.

efm77
10-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Cool man. How do they hold up to recoil?

Der Verge
10-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Labor is the single most expensive part manufacturing after the development

Actually, the glass is the most expensive part, followed by the labor. This is why $1500 scopes are $1500 no matter where the scope is made. I once sat in on a live chat, on another board, with one of the heads of Leupold. The labor trade off is where the worker here makes more than the worker there, machines do more of the assembly here, cost offset. Aluminum is aluminum, here or there. Quality glass is not low end glass. No cost offset. Or so he said.