PDA

View Full Version : Light weight hunter to 7mm SAUM

colt56
09-04-2017, 12:20 AM
If I bought a lightweight hunter in any of the available cartridges, could I re-barrel it to a 7mm SAUM? I know I would need to swap the bolt face on the bolt but in theory everything else should work right? I want to have my wife use the rifle in its stock config and I would swap the barrel when I went elk hunting. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. This will be my 5th build, each one has had a flaw that I had to correct. Hoping this time i can avoid any issues.

Hotolds442
09-04-2017, 12:39 AM
You may also need to swap out your firing pin for the longer WSM firing pin depending on which magnum bolt head you use. SSS has a bolt head that doesn't require the swap. You will also have to make sure your new barrel matches the shank diameter of your action.

It would be easier to just buy a WSM, and load it down for her use.

colt56
09-04-2017, 12:44 AM
I remember hearing once that all of the savages that were WSM or SAUM were on a large shank. I haven't been able to find that post again. I would have never thought about the firing pin. Thanks for the input. I may just start with a 270 WSM or 300 WSM. I have plenty of .473 short action bolts that I could use when I put on a less aggressive cartridge for my wife.

Hotolds442
09-04-2017, 07:35 AM
The early WSM's were built on small shank stagger-feed actions. They also had controlled round feeding and the ejector was set into the receiver rather than being in the bolt head, a feature not conductive to frequent barrel/bolt head swapping. The early center-feed actions had adjustable firing pins, while later ones used a one piece pin. If you have a complete spare bolt, swapping will be a lot easier. I've built several center-feed WSM's on small-shank actions, and have not had any issues due to the shank size chosen. Standard 308/243 magazines feed the WSM's just fine, so you wouldn't need to have separate magazines either. It should be easy swapping back and forth once you source the second barrel.

wbm
09-04-2017, 07:41 AM
It would be easier to just buy a WSM, and load it down for her use.

It would. A 7mm SAUM on a lightweight hunter is not a really good idea IMO.

geargrinder
09-04-2017, 12:30 PM
You could also consider the 284 win. Near magnum performance without having to swap any bolt parts.

colt56
09-05-2017, 12:09 AM
I was initially going 280 AI as it can push the bigger 7s around 2800-2900. I chose to look at the short magnums as I can use a short action which will keep the weight down.
WBM- After posting this I started wondering if the light weight hunter action could handle the pressures of the short mags. It seems a WSM action that a center feed will fit the bill.
I will also take a look at the 284, thanks guys.

Hotolds442
09-05-2017, 12:18 AM
I was going to suggest the 280 AI, but I was under the impression you were going short action. Now that you've opened it up, build the 280 AI. Fireform the minimum amount of brass you'll need for hunting, keeping track of your accuracy, windage, and elevation, and then let her hunt with your milder fire forming loads. You'll conserve barrel life this way, and the more she shoots, the more ready made AI brass you have.....

colt56
09-05-2017, 01:40 AM
I had planned to go short action as I am trying to go as light as possible. I have a heavier hunting rifle in 28 Nosler but I plan on selling it as its too heavy. I have been back and forth on the 280 AI and 7 RSAUM. I figure I can save some weight by doing a short action so I was leaning 7 RSAUM. I have gone back and forth for a year.