PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 .308 bolt tilt

dbooksta
09-02-2017, 01:31 PM
The bolt on my Gen 2 Savage 10 in .308 has some vertical play – when fully extended it hangs about 5mm below the bore centerline:

http://emptormaven.com/img/SavageBoltRearTilt-1900.jpg

As a result, if I don't have upward pressure on it when cycling the bolt, it will scrape the safety on (opening) and off (closing):

http://emptormaven.com/img/SavageBoltRub-1900.jpg

Is this "slop" typical for this action? If so, should I just grind the bottom of the bolt rear so it can't rub the safety? If not, what fixes are there?

sharpshooter
09-02-2017, 04:00 PM
The slop is typical, but it still shouldn't rub. Check your bolt body for straightness. I've actually found some that were bent from the get go. Typically the bend originates where the under cut area is.

dbooksta
09-02-2017, 09:01 PM
I just checked it on a flat surface, and it is straight.

sharpshooter
09-02-2017, 11:08 PM
I could be possible that the tang is bent upwards.

RustyShackle
09-03-2017, 12:07 AM
There might be an easy fix if your bolt body is very slightly under spec, also the thickness on the bolt head lugs might be just a little undersized.

dbooksta
09-03-2017, 05:09 AM
I could be possible that the tang is bent upwards.

I assume I would find this if I remove it from the stock and rest the rear receiver on a level surface?

There might be an easy fix if your bolt body is very slightly under spec, also the thickness on the bolt head lugs might be just a little undersized.

What's the easy fix if it's the bolt body? (I have calipers if there is a spec to reference.)

Actually, should I even think about this receiver? I want to upgrade to an AIAXCS-style detachable magazine chassis. Perhaps it would be natural or even required for this piece can be trued or replaced in that process?

RustyShackle
09-03-2017, 01:35 PM
IIRC bolt body should be 0.700

folks have removed action slop going to PTG bolt body in the past. Just have to measure your receivers inside diameter. Will let you know what it will take. Also I would measure the bolt lug raceways and see what you have.

Edit: Just to be clear, PTG will make a bolt body per your dimensions. You want to be 0.002 - 0.003 smaller than your raceway diameter.

rbp75503
09-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Hmm, I wonder, is the tang free floating or is it bottoming out on the stock as you tighten the rear action bolt? Relieve stock if necessary

If the tang is definitely bent you might attempt to bend back a bit by placing in vise and gently nudge the tang in the opposite direction. Not much pressure! Be very careful.

I do not recommend this, but only mention as I did this to a model 110 that the tang was bent just a bit from too tight of rear action bolt.

sharpshooter
09-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Bolt bodies have a nominal dia. of .694", +-.001". Receiver bore has a range form .701- 704".

Deadshot2
09-04-2017, 06:26 PM
This looks about normal for a lot of factory rifles. A lot more clearance than is necessary. One guy machines the actions and another the bolts. Bolts are added to actions and if they don't bind when cycled, it goes in the box.

Careful measurement and replacing bolt body with larger diameter one from PT&G may cure the issue. Then it is possible that the rear of he action has a larger ID from wear than up front near the locking lugs. That will call for some gunsmith work.

drybean
09-04-2017, 07:27 PM
send it back let savage fix it

dbooksta
09-05-2017, 11:20 PM
send it back let savage fix it

Has Savage changed its customer service policies in the last few years? A sure fix would be to replace the receiver and bolt body, but as of a few years ago my experience was that their price and quality never merited work out of warranty.

RustyShackle
09-05-2017, 11:42 PM
You might have to pay shipping to get the gun to them, let them evaluate and get back with you! You might find they take good care of you.

dbooksta
09-07-2017, 02:03 PM
You might have to pay shipping to get the gun to them, let them evaluate and get back with you! You might find they take good care of you.

I know it is theoretically possible. And I know that there are companies that have unwritten policies of going above-and-beyond for customer support. Have people recently actually been having exceptionally positive experiences with Savage customer support?

(I haven't dealt with Savage support in years, but I hesitate because the last I did they were squarely in the "we'll do the minimum to honor our written warranties" camp.)