PDA

View Full Version : Savage Actions

mchljrdn
08-30-2017, 01:31 PM
What is the difference between the different short actions? I see northlands sells varmit & target in addition to the normal.

J.Baker
08-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Target actions have a small side ejection port (solid top) and are typically a single-shot action. The Varmint actions are the traditional large ejection port (open top) like found on most hunting rifles and are repeater actions. Target action will also have the larger knob on the bolt handle and the Target AccuTrigger.

Varmint Action

Target Action

mchljrdn
08-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Target actions have a small side ejection port (solid top) and are typically a single-shot action. The Varmint actions are the traditional large ejection port (open top) like found on most hunting rifles and are repeater actions. Target action will also have the larger knob on the bolt handle and the Target AccuTrigger.

Are the varmint actions on the model 12's heavier or different from those on the 10/11?

jpdown
08-30-2017, 06:31 PM
The varmint action body is the same as the 10/11 actions. The only differences are the varmint actions come with the lighter Accutrigger spring that will adjustable pull down to around 1.5 lbs. and the oversized bolt handle pictured above.

RC20
08-30-2017, 07:31 PM
the target actions also have a different screw spacing

upinthehills
08-31-2017, 02:37 AM
Thanks for going thru this, I've been curious on the details of this too... I was confused seeing Model 10 and Varmint actions for sale. So, small differences there.

rjtfroggy
08-31-2017, 05:32 AM
the target actions also have a different screw spacing

Not totally true. Some of the target actions had a 3.40 spacing but the majority of them were and are 4.40 for screw spacing. The difference is all target actions are large shank barrel threading, and triggers that will adjust down to around 6oz..
Only some of the magnum model 10's 11 12 and so forth have large shanks but none go below 1.5 lbs. for the triggers
The differences are basically aesthetic but the measurements including the screw spacing on short actions are the same.