08-29-2017, 09:40 PM
Just wondering what everyone thinks about both barrels
I have 3 shaw barrels and very happy 1 is 1/2 MOA and the other two are3/4 MOA
but I hear a lot about the Pac-nor barrels
Apples to Apples the Pac-Nor is 130.00 more
just wondering getting ready to do a new build

MRCHIRO
08-29-2017, 10:40 PM
Get the PAC-nor. Best barrels in my opinion are the barlien barrels - just my 02 for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigbuckdn
08-30-2017, 04:48 AM
Get the PAC-nor. Best barrels in my opinion are the barlien barrels - just my 02 for what it's worth.

Your 02 is worth a lot other people's opinions and experiences just what I am looking for

m12lrs
08-30-2017, 05:39 AM

+1 for bartlein. bugholes has them

of course there are tons of great premium barrels out there

dwm
08-30-2017, 10:55 AM
If you are looking for a prefit Savage barrel Pac-Nor Super match are very good

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

darkker
09-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks about both barrels
I have 3 shaw barrels and very happy 1 is 1/2 MOA and the other two are3/4 MOA
but I hear a lot about the Pac-nor barrels
Apples to Apples the Pac-Nor is 130.00 more
just wondering getting ready to do a new build

I suppose it depends on what you are expecting, and what they claim to afford for the price.

I approach it like this. When I was much younger and much poorer, Shaw was affordable compared to the others. In those days, the 3 different barrels I had were accurate. I know that bragging about groups at 100 yards seems to be the benchmark. Fine enough, but I don't shoot at 100 yards I shoot much farther. Fast forward to current times. When I've shoot side X side with a Hart, Shilen, Lothar-Walther, the Shaw is not what holds me back for my goals. I have a post or two of scope reviews where you can see I was shooting bullseye targets and a drum lid, just short of a mile. My current barrel on what you would call my "bench gun" is a Shaw that was on a super-sale from the shack. Had a slight tight spot near the muzzle when I got it. That barrel will out shoot me. I also don't clean any barrel because I looked at it, I clean when groups begin to open up, and not before.

So for me, when the barrel choice isn't what is "holding me back"; I fail to see a reason to spend an extra $130 hoping to fit into a certain crowd that will give me praise for my "correct choice".
If someone else wants to do it for some reason, or no particular reason; I'm completely fine with that choice, it just isn't mine.

Cheers

MRCHIRO
09-01-2017, 12:09 PM
To me, Shaw is an oem barrel. I respect your view and many others. To others who buy them - good for them. My experience is that when j shoot a .625 muzzle barrel - shaw and even the savage barrels - start to walk. I don't like humping .80 or 1.00 barrels around even if I'm on the bench. I buy a quality barrel and I shoot a string of rounds - the bullets stray but not by a margin. So I never did like that so I never will buy shaw or keep an oem barrel. Buy once and be done with it - that's just my philosophy and I don't push that onto others - it's just my 02. Pleasing others? I don't belong in that show b/c I could careless - hell I don't even watch TV to even know what's going on around me. I do like guns and rifles though :) - always updated on this sector haha!

CPOSHOOTER
09-01-2017, 12:35 PM
I have used Shaw, PacNor, Shilen, Criterion, McGowen, Proof Research (carbon wound), and Benchmark. For the money Shaw is a good buy but Benchmark is the best, expensive, great service, and long delivery time. PacNor, Shilen, or McGowen would be my choice after Benchmark. I have not tried other quality brands, either because of time or no Savage prefits. Note: the Proof Research is on a 700, 30-06, and is a favorite hunting rifle because of super light weight and accuracy. But EXPENSIVE.

Bigbuckdn
09-01-2017, 12:38 PM
I suppose it depends on what you are expecting, and what they claim to afford for the price.

I approach it like this. When I was much younger and much poorer, Shaw was affordable compared to the others. In those days, the 3 different barrels I had were accurate. I know that bragging about groups at 100 yards seems to be the benchmark. Fine enough, but I don't shoot at 100 yards I shoot much farther. Fast forward to current times. When I've shoot side X side with a Hart, Shilen, Lothar-Walther, the Shaw is not what holds me back for my goals. I have a post or two of scope reviews where you can see I was shooting bullseye targets and a drum lid, just short of a mile. My current barrel on what you would call my "bench gun" is a Shaw that was on a super-sale from the shack. Had a slight tight spot near the muzzle when I got it. That barrel will out shoot me. I also don't clean any barrel because I looked at it, I clean when groups begin to open up, and not before.

So for me, when the barrel choice isn't what is "holding me back"; I fail to see a reason to spend an extra $130 hoping to fit into a certain crowd that will give me praise for my "correct choice".
If someone else wants to do it for some reason, or no particular reason; I'm completely fine with that choice, it just isn't mine.

Cheers
Makes sense to me this is got a hunting rifle and my shaw barrels out shoot me