PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum need some help?advice

JT78
08-29-2017, 09:18 PM
hello fellas so I am redoing my savage 110 7mm rem mag and I have picked out a barrel went with criterion varmint from northland so now I need help finding a stock I been looking at boyds site and like the look of the heritage stock but dont know if it will work with the varmint barrel I have ordered any feedback is much appreciated.

J.Baker
08-30-2017, 03:38 PM
The Heritage, Prairie Hunter and Classic stocks from Boyds are designed for sporter barrels. You could open them up to fit a heavy barrel, but the sidewall of the barrel channel would get pretty thin. The Pro Varmint, and Varmint Thumbhole stocks from Boyds are designed for the heavier barrel contour and come inlet for it. (might have to look under Savage 112 on their site)

SageRat Shooter
08-30-2017, 04:08 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Pro Varmint...

RC20
08-30-2017, 08:16 PM
The Boyd's Varmint contour barrel opening in the Thumbhole if I remember righty was too tight for a Varmint Contour.

Very easy to open up the last bit for a Savage Varmint Contour. I think I opened it up for a bull if I ever got that far and the receiver end is the same anyway size wise, tapes down further out of course.

A Dowel and 80 grit paper wrapped around it and there are only two high spots to grind down.

I shot what I call a Super Grip (pro Varmint) a while back and was surprised how good it was. Another form choice that lets you maintain good trigger control.

JT78
08-30-2017, 09:49 PM
So just a quick update I found a heritage stock that's supposed to be for a bull barrel and my gunsmith says he can make it work with the varmint barrel. Will post pics after the gun is finished.

Bigbuckdn
09-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Good luck it should be very nice
I have opened up two Boyd stocks for varmit weight barrels no problem just just pillered them a hair high bedded the whole action and had plenty of meat left on side walls