PDA

View Full Version : Barrel threading service

clerkofkirk
08-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Holy Moly! My local gunsmith wants $165 to shorten, crown and (suppressor)thread my factory Savage varmint profile barrel. Is this typical? Any good experiences with any of the services known to this forum?

Hotolds442
08-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Figure shipping both ways, around $30-40. Add in wait time for the mail service and the wait time at the smith. What's downtime worth to you? If your local smith can get it out the door in a couple of days, just do it. I don't think his price is overly expensive. Plus, you might just make an invaluable friend in the process.

clerkofkirk
08-28-2017, 02:57 PM
That $165 is halfway to a new threaded barrel ordered to the length i want.

hereinaz
08-28-2017, 05:14 PM
And, this is why you can find Savage take off barrels inexpensively... custom labor is expensive with set up, etc.

HotOlds, where do you send barrels for muzzle threading?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Phranque
08-28-2017, 05:51 PM
Yeah, that's a wee bit high. For my next build using the 10T, mine quoted me $125 to cut, crown, thread, & machine index (without washers) my ASR brake/suppressor adapter.

Hotolds442
08-28-2017, 10:12 PM
And, this is why you can find Savage take off barrels inexpensively... custom labor is expensive with set up, etc.

HotOlds, where do you send barrels for muzzle threading?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My local smith gets all my lathe work that isn't done during the barrel ordering process. I also get first crack at all of his Savage take-off's.

gbflyer
08-28-2017, 10:23 PM
It's not a 5 minute job to do it right. Skilled trade people are becoming fewer and further between. Look at the shop rates for an auto mechanic.

czgunner
08-29-2017, 03:09 PM
I've used ADCO, but my new favorite is class 3 machining.

CriterionBarrels
08-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Holy Moly! My local gunsmith wants $165 to shorten, crown and (suppressor)thread my factory Savage varmint profile barrel. Is this typical? Any good experiences with any of the services known to this forum?

I might be a bit biased, but if you sold your take off barrel and picked up a match grade threaded Criterion barrel you probably wouldn't be paying that much more out of pocket.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels/criterion-savage/

clerkofkirk
08-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Not sure how much I'd get out of the barrel

SageRat Shooter
08-30-2017, 02:43 PM
You can get $80 to $100 out of it (original barrel) maybe... I have 3 criterion barrels myself... All of them are awesome... You can get one specified to your desired length, contour, chambering, threaded, and beadblasted finish for under $400.00...

You can have them add a muzzle brake (as apposed to just threading) for $175.00 extra... Not sure if you're wanting a brake or a can, but thought I'd through that out there too.

clerkofkirk
08-30-2017, 02:59 PM
Just called them. $409 to my door. Looks like I'll need Light Varmint to have enough meat to thread for the suppressor. Hmmm...that's a lot of $$$

SageRat Shooter
08-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Clerk,

There's an old saying... "you get what you pay for"... All I ever shot was a factory savage barrel on all my guns until about 5 years ago... Savage barrels are fine for just "hunting"... If you're looking to build a long range shooter or even just a precision rifle, You will be blown away at the difference between "Factory" and a "CBI"... I won't ever go back to "Factory" barrels except on my Brush hogging, beat it up, drop it in the mud, hunting rifle.

Txhillbilly
08-30-2017, 03:42 PM
Morgan at Class 3 is my go to guy for my barrel threading needs,he's fast and has really good prices. He's threaded / shortened a dozen or so barrels for me.

http://class3machining.com/

clerkofkirk
08-31-2017, 06:18 AM
Thanks for all the responses. At this point it looks like I'm going to get a CBI 24" Beadblasted Stainless Light Varmint 7mm-08 sans threading for now. If I decide later to get it shortened and threaded I'll have plenty of meat to work with. I'll get Morgan to cut and thread my factory .308 to 20" for use with the can.