PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Lyman 2A on mode 23A

CDSUSMC
08-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Say All, I just bought a Lyman peep sight 2A that is marked on the underside SN. According to what I found on the internet it was made for the Savage model 23. No problem right, may be not for a normal person. Me I can not see were this mounts. Any help would be great, even if I find out that it's the wrong type of sight. I will attempt to attach photos. Again thanks for your time and consideration.
Chris

Sav22
08-28-2017, 09:48 PM
SN is for the 1919 NRA, SS is for the Sporters - the stock contours are slightly different and these sights are made to mount with wood screws on the stock at the wrist. These were not popular sights and you see many for sale that are 'new in the box'. You may be able to position this on the stock of a Sporter so it lines up but it might be to tall for the existing front sight, the NRA's had taller front sights. If you have a nice rifle I don't think you want to put holes in the stock and these sights can often cause uncomfortable thumb positioning. On the very few I have seen with a sight mounted to the wood some have had some wood removed to seat the sight better (& lower & probably straighter). I have a 1922 Sporter with a wood mounted Marbles sight but it already had the holes in it when I got it and the Marble is made to wrap back around the contour of the comb so it does not get in the way of thumb positioning.

Here is a couple pictures showing 1922 SPORTERS with some different sight options. The scope is a Stevens made especially for the 1919 NRA and 1922 SPORTERS that was made after Stevens was bought by Savage Arms. Your sight would mount with the front of it's base about were the front of the base for the Marbles is.
http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/images/fbfiles/images/1922-Sporters-003x_zpsr64unola-lpnxc8v7q4.jpg http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/images/fbfiles/images/1922-Sporters-005x_zpsrcekbynt-8jls78l7rw.jpg

CDSUSMC
08-29-2017, 10:13 AM
I definitely came to the right place . I have a Marbles S6S on one of my 23As . That at times is a bit awkward. The Lyman 2A on my 19 NRA was even more so. Although the height seemed correct. No wonder they never became very popular. Being left handed never helps much either. Thank you so much for a very detailed explanation. Your time is appreciated more then you'll ever know. l had looked high and low on the internet and found nothing .
I have started a collection of Savage 23s and I would like to equip some with peep sights and others with vintage Weaver scopes. No doubt I will be back with a whole slew of questions. So glad I found a place that understands this forum of addiction
Chris