PDA

View Full Version : SAvage 110 7mm Mag

Frosty53
08-21-2017, 08:57 PM
My 7mm Mag bolt seems to be stiff in the upstroke when loaded. Also, the magazine holds three rounds but seems be really stiff when loading three verses two or one; anyone have an idea what I need to do to get the action to smoothen up, the rifle has never been fired. I am a reloader on several calibers, several different weapons; this gun is what I want to use for hunting in Wyoming when I retire. There is a range here in the Valley which has a 1000 yard setup and I plan to walk this rifle out from "0" at 200 yrds every 100 yards to the 1000 yard limit in preparation for living & hunting in Wyoming when I retire.

Another point about this rifle is it's weight.... I have a Harris BR series 1A2 6-9 bipod BR1A2, a Vortex Optics Crossfire II Rifle Scope 6-18x44mm scope, a Blackhawk Buttstock raised cheekweld, a 24" barrel with original walnut stock and internal magazine. Loaded the rifle weighs 11lbs 4oz which seems really heavy, any ideas how to lighten this rig?

The trigger seems very crisp, it's stock but I imagine an APEX may be sweeter... no plans to upgrade that yet. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Frosty53

RC20
08-22-2017, 03:41 PM
You need to tell us if you load one round into the gun, does the bolt uplift hard?

Does it close hard was well? Uplift and not fired or fired?

Or empty chamber and hard to uplift with rounds in the magazine.

Not sure what you mean by Walk It Out? Sighting? then adjusting vertical and record for drop out to 1000 at 100 yard intervals. ?

As for weight, you can loose the bi pod and drop a lot, .

A composite stock (carbon fiber or Laminate) will drop a bit.

If its a stock barrel there is not much to be done.

You don't say if its an acu trigger.

Frosty53
08-25-2017, 12:12 AM
I'll check it to be sure; however, to be clear... it's a three round built-in magazine. If I place one round into the magazine it's easier to cycle the bolt than if I place three. dropping the bipod is not an option as I use it to steady the rifle, I'm not so young anymore that I have such a steady targeting ability. It is a stock 24" barrel and actually, I was attempting to get some new ideas from many minds, so to speak, to give myself the option of lightening it up. Truth is; I'll be hauling it up into mountains mostly on horseback so it's a nice idea but not necessarily a necessity!

There is the other side of the coin that a heavier rife handles the kick a lot better, can be steadier just because of it's weight and I do load it towards the hotter side; so heavy is not such a bad thing, I'm just trying to consider my options. I have read and heard that changing to a lighter synthetic stock won't necessarily be a good thing, it may ruin its accuracy and natural balance!

When I wrote of "walking it out..." I was merely speaking of sighting it in at a closer range, say 300 yards, then out another 100 yards and another and... so on ... and it's not an acu-trigger rifle, it's an older 110.