PDA

View Full Version : Accustock with nonaccustock recoil lug.

Maximvickers
08-19-2017, 12:06 PM
This is a continuation of my earlier post "Did I screw this up"

Well apparently I did screw it up. I had my older model BA 10 in .308 and BA 110 in .338 Lapua rebarreled with super match barrels. I had purchased the NSS precision ground recoil lugs for each as part of upgrading these two rifles. Obviously I know now that with these recoil lugs installed the actions do not fit back into either BA accustock.

From my earlier post it was suggested that I open up the stock to accommodate the larger recoil lugs. So this is now the plan. Couldn't stand the look of the dremeled out openings in some pictures I have reviewed. I found a machinist who will use his mill to open up the required area. So now waiting another 2-3 weeks.

I need a basic rundown on how the recoil lug should sit in the stock. Does the recoil lug only contact on the face of the aluminum recoil slot? Is it correct that it should not contact the sides or the bottom of the recoil slot?

The BA 10 must have been an early one as it has a place for the wedge to help hold the recoil lug in place. This wedge is long gone. Didn't even know it had had one until I was trying to put the rifle back together. So with the wedge gone. How is the best way to get the same lock in of the recoil lug?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Zero333
08-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Mainly the rear of the lug should contact. When glass bedding actions we put a couple of layers of tape on the front, the bottom and the sides of the recoil lug but not the rear. This way the rear of the lug will have 100% contact with the bedding and the rest of it will be very close but not touching the bedding.

What you're gonna need to do besides opening the accustock is to profile the sides of the new recoil lugs because they're wider than the accustock ones.

Wherever you're taking the stock to get milled just take both new recoil lugs and one of the old recoil lugs and have the machinist match the profile of the old.