PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating the tang, what methods are you guys using.

tammons
09-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I want to get rid of the freekin thing.

I just moved the front action hole on a staggered food duromax I have had sitting around for 2 years.
Moved it to a centerfeed location and reworked the mag well.

Everything looks good.

Now I am down to the magazine and have a couple of ideas but am wondering what others have done.

Thanks

hailstone
09-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Does getting rid of the tang mean your doing away with the safety?

tammons
09-06-2010, 09:20 PM
No, I am talking about the centerfeed tang that holds the back of the mag box in.
Nothing to do with the safety.

Its almost impossible to bed the rear action block of a centerfeed while keeping the tang removable.
You can glue the tang in and bed it but then you cant change out the mag box.

I figured out a good option so far.

Bend the back of the mag out as shown and epoxy in a mating recesst on the stock on the back side of the mag hole.
The mag has to fit very tight and as you press it down the rear part of the mag that I bent out pops into the
recess. To remove you just bend it forward with a screwdriver and lift out.

Allows you to bed the rear of the action.

This is a duramax stock.
Excuse the messy epoxy work as I have done a lot of work on this stock and used to have it set up as
a switch stock for staggered or centerfeed.

I recently just moved the front hole forward for a full time centerfeed stock
and have been working on this. I had to rework the mag hole location quite a bit.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z300/tammons3/photo%20misc/mag_resize.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z300/tammons3/photo%20misc/magwell_resize.jpg

pd721el
09-06-2010, 11:48 PM
I have been considering the same thing as I wanted to make the actual rear pillar contact the action. I havent try it yet but was going to cut down the potrion of the Tang that goes between the pillar and the action, so that it sits in front of the pillar then build a pad of bedding under it and adjust this until the action holds in in place when screwd down. I am going to shoot with a single shot follower and pillar bed it without the tang in until i find a good way to do this. Keep us posted on yours.

tammons
09-07-2010, 09:38 AM
That sounds like a good idea too, but I don't know if you would be able to get the magazine out.
Previously on another rifle, I just epoxied the tang into the stock and then bedded over the tang.

The reason I have mine set up like this is I want to be able to switch between a 308 and 338 RCM magazine.
Like this the magazine just pops out, hopefully not under recoil. I would feel better if the recess was milled out of aluminum with a small screw
to hold it in.

Edit: You have to cut off the end of the tab.

sharpshooter
09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
You are going to alot of work just to make things more complicated.
I do agree the "L" bracket system leaves alot to desire , but it can be utilized and not interfere with the pillar if you cut the fork off.
The small protrusion on the front of the mag box has to sit on a ledge to hold the correct height. This can be done by simply gluing a popsickle stick in front of the mag well. The rear height is controlled by the "L" bracket that straddles the pillar. It doesn't have to straddle the pillar, it can be cut shorter to hook in front of the pillar and still hold the height, leaving a full height pillar.
I would bed the receiver first, and then dremel out where the bracket has to sit.

tammons
09-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I see what you mean but its done now and the rear is fully bedded.

It was pretty simple really and since I was moving the front hole and putting in a new pillar etc
I figured why not try it.

A lot of that epoxy work on the sides and front of the mag box area was already done from my
previous setup where I could swap back a forth from centerfeed to staggered feed actions on this stock.

Now I don't have a SA staggered feed action anymore.

Guess I will keep it like this and see how long it last.