PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 thru 116 action strengths

Pages : 1 [2] 3

MacLaren
08-19-2017, 09:43 PM
I thought they went down to 1 lb 12 oz?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The Law Enforcement Series?
I was under the impression it was 1.5 pounds.
And the standard accutrigger 2.5 pounds

wbm
08-19-2017, 11:44 PM
What are you referring to when you say "single piece" action? Every receiver I've ever seen is a single piece. As far as strength, they're all built strong enough for their intended purpose. Stiffness is a relative term....stiff enough for what? I've never had an issue with an action not being stiff enough.

I didn't quite understand the multiple piece thing either. Cool about the old flattop. To me one of the better ways to find out about different actions is to look at equipment lists from competitions and check
out the they are using.

SageRat Shooter
08-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys!!

I think BrushyHillGuide gave me the answer I was looking for... Honestly I didn't know what "single piece" meant either... His explanation of what they refer to as single piece makes it much clearer as to what they are and why the Precision builders use them.

This was a question I asked just to gain some knowledge on the differences between a true full custom rifle compared to my "budget" semi custom Savage builds.... I am in no way interested in looking at a Tempest or any other precision action out there. I am very happy with my Savage action rifles and have built a couple now that I'm quite proud of. I'm sure the rifles are capable of the 2''s and 3's that ya'll refer to, and I'm pretty sure the problem is "me behind the trigger"... that I can't get better results then the .5" groups I shoot. I'm just a country boy with a precision varminting addiction... not a comp shooter.

Thanks for the explanation Brushy Hill! :thumb:

wbm
08-20-2017, 05:18 PM
I am very happy with my Savage action rifles and have built a couple now that I'm quite proud of. I'm sure the rifles are capable of the 2''s and 3's that ya'll refer to, and I'm pretty sure the problem is "me behind the trigger"... that I can't get better results then the .5" groups I shoot. I'm just a country boy with a precision varminting addiction... not a comp shooter.

Have shown more than a few Savage bashers this article over the years. They always swear that the rifles were not stock...talked to one of the shooters and he says that they were out of the box and they did some tinkering. I for one was impressed. I'm into precision varminting myself and currently have a Savage heavy barrel 22-250 on an older flat back with a target trigger and walnut stock that will put five all touching most of the time. Works for me. Hang in there bro!

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/08/savage-f-tr-team-world-beaters-on-a-budget/

RC20
08-20-2017, 05:48 PM
I wonder if some of this is the type of receiver, i.e. single shot.

A single shot will be more solid /rigid than one that has the cutout for a magazine or clip.

I would suspect I would never see the difference but someone who is realy good, yes.

That long a range shooting the wind is also a possible significant factor (noting the wind coach)

Windy day it become the predominate factor.

Ted_Feasel
08-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Single shot is definatly a more simple mechanism.

sharpshooter
08-20-2017, 11:47 PM
About 15 yrs ago, I ran a test of different actions,(single shots vs repeaters) to find if action stiffness made any difference. I used a Douglas 22 BR 1-12 twist barrel for the test barrel using all the same loads, same cases. I used 4 different actions: a long single shot, a long repeater, a short single shot, and a short repeater. The stocks were factory BVSS stocks,(no bedding, no mods).
I shot 5 -5 shot groups out of each specimen, over the course of 4 days, starting in the morning when conditions were ideal.
After I compiled the data, the difference between the best agg and the worst agg out of 4 was only .058". Yes that's 58 thousandths.....over 100 shots.
I soon figured out how stiff, "stiff enough" is. Oh, in case you're wondering.... the small agg came from the long action repeater.

upinthehills
08-21-2017, 02:18 AM
Sharpshooter, so these would all have been target actions with the cute little oval ports and a large shank barrel? Would you have more concern for my lowly 12FV varmint action? There seems to be a lot less metal in my action... Just trying to make sure I understand what you are saying.

Ted_Feasel
08-21-2017, 07:22 AM
About 15 yrs ago, I ran a test of different actions,(single shots vs repeaters) to find if action stiffness made any difference. I used a Douglas 22 BR 1-12 twist barrel for the test barrel using all the same loads, same cases. I used 4 different actions: a long single shot, a long repeater, a short single shot, and a short repeater. The stocks were factory BVSS stocks,(no bedding, no mods).
I shot 5 -5 shot groups out of each specimen, over the course of 4 days, starting in the morning when conditions were ideal.
After I compiled the data, the difference between the best agg and the worst agg out of 4 was only .058". Yes that's 58 thousandths.....over 100 shots.
I soon figured out how stiff, "stiff enough" is. Oh, in case you're wondering.... the small agg came from the long action repeater.What yardage were these tests done.. I ask because at 100 yards, alot of semi autos will print as well as a bolt buy at 1000.... not even close.

wbm
08-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Would you have more concern for my lowly 12FV varmint action? There seems to be a lot less metal in my action... Just trying to make sure I understand what you are saying.

Less metal than what?

SageRat Shooter
08-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Have shown more than a few Savage bashers this article over the years. They always swear that the rifles were not stock...talked to one of the shooters and he says that they were out of the box and they did some tinkering. I for one was impressed. I'm into precision varminting myself and currently have a Savage heavy barrel 22-250 on an older flat back with a target trigger and walnut stock that will put five all touching most of the time. Works for me. Hang in there bro!

I've got one of those too.... It's an Axis 22-250 (CBI 1/9 twist @ 26" heavy sporter, Boyd's Prairie hunter stock, pillared & bedded, metal trigger guard) It will put 5 in a nickel @ 100 yards... and I've hit Sage rats @ 548 yards (longest so far). But that will change hopefully as I just finished my 260 rem the other day... I know.... LOL! I'm not sure it will be enough gun... :-)

wbm
08-21-2017, 10:26 AM
LOL. It might not be. In one of the Varmint magazines a few years ago was a feature article "7MM Magnum Too Much For Varmints?"...seriously? Can you imagine the looks you would get if you showed up at a Prairie Dog shoot with a 7 mag? With a brake yet! Course the upside could be the only Prairie Dog town in the State where they were all deaf.

Ted_Feasel
08-21-2017, 10:48 AM
Lol... yeah, once I shot a squirrel with my 338 magnum... there was no proof that I got it left... just saw a poof of red then it was gone

MacLaren
08-21-2017, 12:47 PM
I thought they went down to 1 lb 12 oz?

By George, I think you might be right. Ive got some trigger pulls just below a pound. But she averages 2 & 1/4 pounds.
** dang it! I meant to say some pulls below 2 pounds**
Im sorry.

Ted_Feasel
08-21-2017, 12:49 PM
I thought it was pretty light because I've got mine turned all the way down and it feels just perfect barely takes anything

upinthehills
08-21-2017, 10:28 PM
Still curious if Sharpshooter did his tests with target actions or normal actions? Do they make the standard actions without a cutout for loading from a magazine? The target actions look like they have a lot more metal considering how small the ejection/loading port is.

NSS lists Model 10 actions with a scope rail that are blueprinted. They cost more then the target actions, is that all from the blueprinting or do they have integral rails or something?

sharpshooter
08-21-2017, 10:56 PM
I did say it was 15 yrs ago, target actions didn't come until 10 yrs ago. Savage made solid bottom single shots in 3 action lengths before the target action even appeared. They all had the same large loading ports as used in the current production repeaters.
All of the testing was done @ 100 yds, and all of the aggs were under .300".

upinthehills
08-22-2017, 01:23 AM
Thanks, Sharpshooter. I'm pretty new at this and just don't know the history of these parts.

J.Baker
08-22-2017, 08:57 AM
1.5 pounds is the specified limit, but it can vary up or down a few ounces gun-to-gun due to production tolerances.

MacLaren
08-22-2017, 09:05 AM
1.5 pounds is the specified limit, but it can vary up or down a few ounces gun-to-gun due to production tolerances.

But, 1.5 pounds is for the law enforcement series (10-110)
Rifles like the 16-116, 14-114 etc have a 2.5 pound stated limit?
Not trying to be argumentative, please dont get me wrong
Im gonna order the 1.5 pound spring today for my 16 bear hunter.