PDA

View Full Version : savage lady hunter

Pajasonc
08-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Have a chance to pick up a savage lady hunter in 308 for 425 new in the box, best price online looks like 650. Was looking at the savage lightweight hunter originally but the lady hunter has me intrigued as it appears to be the same barrel as the light weight hunter but with out fluted bolt and action cut outs to save weight but it appears that it only weights 8 oz more 5.5 vs 6 lbs. Problem is I don't think I can live with the high comb on the stock. Is the stock the same size(action) that I could simply swap out to a new stock(found a couple on numrich that appear will work)? Also would the savage lady hunter stock be a easy sell? What do you think I could get for it? Also is the savage lightweight hunter stock available anywhere? Thanks for the input.

RP12
08-16-2017, 01:01 PM
You might want to try that stock first. Most rifle stocks aren't tall enough. It should be very easy to sell though.

jpdown
08-16-2017, 02:32 PM
That's a good deal at $425 for the LH 11 action with a 20" LW contour barrel. The DBM frame assembly (surround) and magazine bottom cap are synthetic. The SA Lady Hunter and LWH actions have the same bottom footprint as the standard Savage SA models with bottom bolt release (BBR). Therefore any Savage SA, RH, CF (4.40" spacing), BBR stock with DBM inlet will work. The Lady Hunter should be fairly easy to sell for around $100 to $150 as a new take off. You rarely see the Savage SA, LWH walnut stocks for sell. You can call Savage Arms Parts and price one. After the sticker shock, take a look at the Boyd's Gunstock Savage 16 Light Weight stock. They are a drop-in-fit replacement for the Lady Hunter stock. The trade-off will be a few additional ounces in stock weight. I would also have Boyd's install a 1" Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad to help tame the increased recoil of these light weight rifles.

I recently completed a similar make-over. The Savage 16 LWH comes with the cheap factory black synthetic stock. I found a discontinued Savage 14 American Classic walnut stock (Numrich). Upgraded the hard rubber recoil pad with .6" Pachmayr Old English Decelerator recoil pad. And switched the plastic bottom parts to metal. Added about 12 oz weight vs. keeping the lighter synthetic stock and plastic bottom parts.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y333/jpdowns54/PICT0036_zps6s4orcux.jpg (http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/jpdowns54/media/PICT0036_zps6s4orcux.jpg.html)

Pajasonc
08-16-2017, 07:10 PM
That's a good deal at $425 for the LH 11 action with a 20" LW contour barrel. The DBM frame assembly (surround) and magazine bottom cap are synthetic. The SA Lady Hunter and LWH actions have the same bottom footprint as the standard Savage SA models with bottom bolt release (BBR). Therefore any Savage SA, RH, CF (4.40" spacing), BBR stock with DBM inlet will work. The Lady Hunter should be fairly easy to sell for around $100 to $150 as a new take off. You rarely see the Savage SA, LWH walnut stocks for sell. You can call Savage Arms Parts and price one. After the sticker shock, take a look at the Boyd's Gunstock Savage 16 Light Weight stock. They are a drop-in-fit replacement for the Lady Hunter stock. The trade-off will be a few additional ounces in stock weight. I would also have Boyd's install a 1" Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad to help tame the increased recoil of these light weight rifles.

I recently completed a similar make-over. The Savage 16 LWH comes with the cheap factory black synthetic stock. I found a discontinued Savage 14 American Classic walnut stock (Numrich). Upgraded the hard rubber recoil pad with .6" Pachmayr Old English Decelerator recoil pad. And switched the plastic bottom parts to metal. Added about 12 oz weight vs. keeping the lighter synthetic stock and plastic bottom parts.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y333/jpdowns54/PICT0036_zps6s4orcux.jpg (http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/jpdowns54/media/PICT0036_zps6s4orcux.jpg.html)

Thanks guys went another direction, found a browning micro midas in 308. If anyone is in central pa the gun was at gandermountain in johnstown pa. They are going out of business and had the gun for 424.99. That is a sweeet looking gun jpdown!