PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Savage receiver thread tap

LHitchcox
08-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Hey guys, I hope some can help me with a problem. I have a standard shank Savage 110 receiver that has some buggered threads. All I need to do is run the tap in and clean up the galling. So far all I have found is Brownells at $115 and out of stock. I do not want to pay that much for a tool I will likely only use once. Anybody have a loaner or know where I can rent one. I would buy an inexpensive one, but $115 is a bit steep for one use. Thanks in advance. Leon

Ted_Feasel
08-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Hey guys, I hope some can help me with a problem. I have a standard shank Savage 110 receiver that has some buggered threads. All I need to do is run the tap in and clean up the galling. So far all I have found is Brownells at $115 and out of stock. I do not want to pay that much for a tool I will likely only use once. Anybody have a loaner or know where I can rent one. I would buy an inexpensive one, but $115 is a bit steep for one use. Thanks in advance. LeonHonestly you can probably take it to a gun Smith and they will charge a fraction of that just to clean the threads up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

LHitchcox
08-15-2017, 05:52 PM
No smith in the local area has a Savage tap. The one I visited today says he doesn't like working on Savages and only keeps the nut wrench and the action wrench which also fits a Remington 700.

Ted_Feasel
08-15-2017, 06:07 PM
No smith in the local area has a Savage tap. The one I visited today says he doesn't like working on Savages and only keeps the nut wrench and the action wrench which also fits a Remington 700.Damn :/ our local gun Smith loves savage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

short round
08-15-2017, 09:21 PM
4D reamer rental has Savage tools for rent.

Zero333
08-15-2017, 09:23 PM
I've been quoted more than $115 from a tool & cutter and die shop supply.

You can rent the tap from 4D-Rentals

https://4drentals.com/product/savage-receiver-tap-standard-shank/

You can also buy a THREAD FILE that has files for both male and female jobs. Thread files are for fixing messed up threads and should work in most scenarios.

You would need a thread file just like this one...
http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=524

Notice the little files at the end, they're the ones that go inside a female thread like a receiver.

LHitchcox
08-15-2017, 09:58 PM
Sounds like 4D is my best bet. Thanks. I do have one more smith to get in touch with first. He wasn't in today. Wish me luck.

Robinhood
08-15-2017, 11:13 PM
PM sent

Deadshot2
08-16-2017, 11:13 AM
Hey guys, I hope some can help me with a problem. I have a standard shank Savage 110 receiver that has some buggered threads. All I need to do is run the tap in and clean up the galling. So far all I have found is Brownells at $115 and out of stock. I do not want to pay that much for a tool I will likely only use once. Anybody have a loaner or know where I can rent one. I would buy an inexpensive one, but $115 is a bit steep for one use. Thanks in advance. Leon

Didn't look but does the Brownell's Tap come with a pilot? Piloted taps are used (with straight bushings) to make sure the threads are properly aligned with the boltway. PT&G claims that their piloted tap for actions can achieve the same results as single point cutting of the threads without the long setup time. Expensive for a one-time use but certainly the way to go if you want 'straight threads".

Be careful when chasing the galled threads with a tap. If the galling is excessive you can end up with good threads cut as the galling forces the tap against them.

JWW123
08-17-2017, 10:13 AM
check with Rex Supply that's where I bought my tap from

LHitchcox
08-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Thanks Jww for the tip. However, it looks like I won't need one after all. Upon closer inspection in better light I found a piece of thread from the front base screw hole was bent into the threads. This was then galling and binding the barrel threads. I removed the sliver of metal and used an old takeoff barrel to thread in and chase the threads. Everything cleaned up well and I am good to go. Thanks to all who have given me help on this issue.

Leon

Zero333
08-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Ahh the scope base screw found another victim.

Glad you looked closer into the issue and got it sorted !

upinthehills
08-19-2017, 02:00 AM
Eyeballs are one of the best tools in the business!