PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 BA Stealth Cheek Rest Improvement

JABIDAK
08-14-2017, 02:20 AM
The cheek rest on my new 10BA Stealth was too short for my long neck and large head so I attached an 2.5" rigid PVC extension to the top (that's a 8.5" piece on top of the original 6"). The inner diameter of 2" PVC pipe matches the outer diameter of the rifle's cheek rest so I made two 10" cuts in the pipe lengthwise with a miter saw to match where the smooth curve of the cheek piece fits to the PVC (not quite 180 degrees or not quite half of the pipe). Then I marked and cut at 8.5" from the end. I did the lengthwise cuts first so I had something to hold on to away from the saw blade. I placed the PVC piece on the cheek piece and marked what I needed to cut or round off. I rounded the front left corner, made a cutout for the bolt lever throw in the right front, and followed the original cheep piece's rear contours with a Dremmel and a file. Once I had the basic shape I sanded all the edges smooth and sanded the entire PVC piece plus the part of the part of the original cheek piece that would come in contact with the PVC. Then I used a 20 minute "plastic" epoxy to permanently attach the PVC. I finished by sanding and spray painting the entire unit a light OD color. I probably could have gotten by with a 2" extension but I'm okay with how it turned out. The extension does not interfere with the bolt action when the stock is collapsed as long as the cheek piece is almost at its highest. Otherwise the buttstock has to be extended to the 3rd position as the fatter rear of the bolt hits the extension. The extension may in time put too much additional stress/leverage on the cheek piece's 2 attachment points but for now it seems sturdy.

If anyone wants pics let me know.

I'm bought Burris XTR Signature rings so I can put a 20 MOA slant without replacing the Picatinny rail or having to use shims. However I made a mistake and purchased the 30mm x 1.25 inch rings. They were too high so I returned them and ordered replacement 30mm x 1" high rings. I'm hoping that the 1/4"lower rings plus the increased height of the cheek piece (thickness of the PVC) will put my eyeball properly behind my scope.