PDA

View Full Version : savage 110ba stealth castle nut

rshockley
08-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Is there anything you need to do prior to taking off the castle nut form the 110ba stealth. Tried to take it off and even when gun is in a vise I feel I am putting to muck force on it. I don't want to damage the gun. Is there a set screw or something I am missing. Tried to find info in the manual but it was not much help.

olddav
08-14-2017, 12:36 AM
It is a good idea to remove the scope base screws to avoid damaging the barrel threads. Many of the factory barrel nuts are very difficult to remove, some report that striking the wrench with a hammer will do the trick.

Hotolds442
08-14-2017, 08:41 AM
I heat mine up a bit with a small propane torch. I've only had to use a dead-blow hammer once since I started applying heat.

CBryars2
08-18-2017, 10:46 PM
If your trying to remove buffer tube, there is a set screw behind grip.

Robinhood
08-20-2017, 01:26 AM
I have never known anyone to put the gun in a vice to remove the barrel. You want to remove the barrelled action from the chassis. You need to clamp onto the action or barrel with a tool designed to do this. Then use your nut wrench. The heat advice used correctly really helps and the suggestion to remove the front base screw is good advice also.

Phranque
08-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Couple of different answers here... are you asking about the slotted barrel nut, or the castle nut on the stock buffer tube?

RC20
08-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Being a bit of a tech purist, I would like it noted that there is not a castle nut, there is a Castellated nut.

And while I get it, the nut on the Savage is not Castellated. Call it notched, segmented, but not Castle let alone Castellated.

Noting that its not a barrel nut either technically even though it holds a barrel on (or keeps it set in place)

hereinaz
08-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Is it the barrel nut or the nut holding the stock tube?

Gotta be careful with both. I think some of the advice above was for removing the barrel nut.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Robinhood
08-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Yeah, My bad. we see so many names for different gun parts around here....... I went to left field.