PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 LRPV in 6 mm BR Sight in issue

bachnglock
08-12-2017, 07:03 PM
I bought this rifle new from Buds to shoot informally with some benchrest buddies. I purchased the Leupold Competition Series 35X45 scope and mounted it on a Warne rail and Leupold rings. With the right windage adjustment all the way to the right, I'm still shooting POI 5 inches left. I have not called Savage yet because I know they will ask me how i know its not the rail or rings. I suppose i will have to buy another rail and try the setup again unless someone knows a better and cheaper route to go. Ideas? This is a precision rifle and I don't want adjustable rails or shims in the rings.

Robinhood
08-12-2017, 07:47 PM
I would get a new target at 25 yards and adjust the scope to optical center. Fire one shot with the point of aim at the center of target. Record on target. Rotate the rings 180 degrees. fire and record. If it is the rings it will shoot to the right. If it is possible with your base you can swap ends. Fire and record. It should shoot right if it is the base. Include those details to savage if it is the rifle and to the scope manufacture if you cant achieve optical center. Finding optical center. Cut 2 v blocks out of some suitable material. 6" wide 4" tall is good. Nail or staple them to either side of a 2x4 or to a table. protect the tube from getting scratched like a strip of teflon or something.Set it on a table and rotate the scope until the crosshairs do not form a circle. http://shared1.ad-lister.co.uk/UserImages/69fff2ff-c63a-4ca4-9099-622e5c1a1334/Img/IMG_3383.jpg

Texas10
08-13-2017, 09:51 AM
You might try the Leupold 2 pc base p/n 55741 that has adjustable windage screws. Made to fit model 10/110 actions, also fit Model 12 actions but not sure about large shank Model 12 action. Someone else here might be able to answer that question. Wally World has them for $21.00 . If you don't already have them, you'll need the rings to go with it too. If you're shooting to 1000 yds, these might not be the ticket unless your scope has a ton of adjustment.

If you prefer a rail mounted ring, there are other picatinny style rings that have windage adjustments. I have a set but don't know the mfg.

rbp75503
08-13-2017, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=Robinhood;413528]I would get a new target at 25 yards and adjust the scope to optical center. Fire one shot with the point of aim at the center of target. Record on target. Rotate the rings 180 degrees. fire and record. If it is the rings it will shoot to the right. If it is possible with your base you can swap ends. Fire and record. It should shoot right if it is the base. QUOTE]

^^^^This would be the 1st step before all others. RH nailed it. You can get close to optical setting by turning elevation and windage knobs all the way one direction, then count back number of clicks, then back again 1/2 way.

Had a similar situation with a sporter 1903, problem was action rail mounting screw holes. Ended up getting Burris rings with 20MOA inserts. Was able to get .2" groups with hunting bullets , so they did not have any affect of potential accuracy.

Ted_Feasel
08-14-2017, 07:59 AM
I bought this rifle new from Buds to shoot informally with some benchrest buddies. I purchased the Leupold Competition Series 35X45 scope and mounted it on a Warne rail and Leupold rings. With the right windage adjustment all the way to the right, I'm still shooting POI 5 inches left. I have not called Savage yet because I know they will ask me how i know its not the rail or rings. I suppose i will have to buy another rail and try the setup again unless someone knows a better and cheaper route to go. Ideas? This is a precision rifle and I don't want adjustable rails or shims in the rings.My savage did the exact same thing for about the first 100 rounds... as I was following the barrel lapping procedure I saw the groups gradually move towards center... try running a cleaning cycle after each round and see if it helps.. it did on mine and now it drives tacs.. I may be wrong but just a possibility.. savages have very course bores untill you get them broken in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk