PDA

View Full Version : Help piecing this together

Mountaintrekker
09-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Ok, fist time posting and all. Here goes.
I finally came to a decision on what my needs/wants are in this rifle and I need some advice on how to best put this together.
My requirements are: a Savage long action with a large bolt knob, a 30.06 heavy fluted barrel with a 1:10 twist 20" long. I'd like to put this in a McMillan A-2 or A1-3 stock. I know about my optics and trigger so no issues there.
My questions are...
How to best go about getting the action and bolt knob?
Where to get a barrel like this and should I go stainless or chrome moly as I will be shooting in cold temps up here in AK?
What diameter should the barrel be to be close to the 10fp profile or maybe a little larger?
Is 1:10 in a 20" going to stabilize a 180gr projectile enough? ( I think so, just would like to get some feedback)
Is getting a detachable mag with this setup possible without breaking the bank?
I plan on having a smith install the barrel and true up the action, just FYI.

Kindest Regards,

Mountiantrekker

slaroy
09-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Here are my two cents...

I would go stainless, and 1:10 should do fine to stabailize 180's, at least it has always worked for me. A basic "varmint" profile would be a start, but you should talk to your barel supplier to see what types of contours they offer.

You will find that some of our site sponsors have great reputations, as per my experience, northlander and sinarms would be excellent options for your action and barrel respectively. And let me be the first to recommend that you become a paid member, which will give you access to the classifieds section. I have been able to save a lot of money (and spend plenty) on parts, etc. by trading with/ purchasing from other members of this site.

As for the need for a gunsmith, the only thing that I have not been able to do myself with some basic hand tools and a barrel nut wrench is a true and time job. A paid memebership also gives you access to some tech articles on barrel swaps, bolt head changes, stock bedding, etc.

Bolt handles and a true and time job can be found at sharp shooter supply, another site sponsor. Personally, I have gone through Stockade to purchase bolt handles and bolt lift kits (reduces bolt lift) in the interest of saving money.

For a long action in 30-06, I am not entirely sure there are any options immediately available to you. I am aware of a number of magazine conversions that would work great if you were gonna step up to 300 win mag. If I am wrong i am sure somebody will correct me in short order.

-Scott

hailstone
09-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Noticed in other posts that because Savage uses a floating bolt head timing and truing the action is not necessary. May want too check into this more. Personally I would not take the say so of anyone who would benifit by doing such work because the're biased. Far too many business today conduct there affairs with less than honorable intentions. Another words any way to make a buck is acceptable even if that includes lying.

Blue Avenger
09-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Noticed in other posts that because Savage uses a floating bolt head timing and truing the action is not necessary. May want too check into this more. Personally I would not take the say so of anyone who would benifit by doing such work because the're biased. Far too many business today conduct there affairs with less than honorable intentions. Another words any way to make a buck is acceptable even if that includes lying.

right, and neither is a Precision target action or race car motor needed to win some competitions, BUT

ellobo
09-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Fred Moeo at SharpShooterSupply is the recongnised best there is for work on Savages. His true and time work is noted on this forum as the best, he does things that will improve accuracy, make bolt lift negligeable. Everyone on this forum that has his T&T work done will swear by it. He has developed tooling and methods no other gunsmith can duplicate. Also, Jim Briggs at Northlander has most of what you need and advice that is priceless. For hunting a sporter wgt barrel will serve well and not be heavy in the field. They may warm up too much after multiple shots on the range so just pace your shots and let cool after every 2 shots. Jim, SinArms and SSS can supply a barrel or you can deal direct with the makers Like Shillen, Pac-Nor, Krieger etc. Also, if money is a problem an Adams And Bennet barrel from Midway USA is a good alternative. I have three and they shoot MOA or better. More than good enough for most hunting. ($139 compared to $300 for a custom barrel.) As has been said, doing your own barrel instalation is easy and all you need is barrel wrench and nut and a quality recoil lug from Sharpshooter Supply or Jim Briggs. With money saved you can get good optics, which is the best money you can spend on a rifle.
Good luck, and remember, all I have said is my opinion. May not be the same as others.
El Lobo